No film maker gets it right

Within the last few weeks I've had to return rolls of film to Madico, Suntek and now Bekaert all due to material faults.

Why is this rocket science so tragic to get the film quality always right after so many years of making this crap?

It never ceases to amaze me with any of them. :money

Devil

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
curling is the biggest problem I see and mostly with residential film

If you buy film that rolled right you won't have that problem. :cool

I personially don't get enough bad film in to even bother with sending it back. I can remember along time ago getting a roll from JWF that you couldn't peel the liner on. They compted us a roll and I never missed a beat.

I did have a small bad spot in the last roll of 3M I got, luckily it was right after making a cut. I only wasted about 6 inches of 48 inch, however someone had circled the spot with a magic marker. First time I had ever seen anything like that.

Is the same thing wrong with them all?

Sorry to hear this Dev. keep your chin up yeah.

No they are all different guises.

Faults in adhesives, dark dye lines, haze, diminishing colour missing off edges 3 inches in, dirt, spots, junk, bits of machinery garbage, diagonal creases.....

It is all about money. All of the major manufacturers are now owned by billion dollar corporations. Those corporations want to see numbers growing. If they produce a bad master roll, I suspect they are mixing it in with a good roll and gamble the warranty issues.

Most young ones out there are not expecting the same quality as what we had before. They don't know the difference or what to look for.

Most young ones out there are not expecting the same quality as what we had before. They don't know the difference or what to look for.

I'm sure you've hit it right on the head there Tman.

About the only thing I haven't collectively seen for many years is severe curl.

Only last week I had a roll of fully reflective silver/grey 15 that had fingers all on one side of the film when it went to the glass.

And you know what that brings? Dirt washing out of the frame bigtime.

I know that here downunder a lot of problematic film is eaten by tint shop owners and never reported back to the distributor because it's not worth their hassle so the crap iceberg is far bigger than what is really seen above the water.

Using your above example, I bet not many newish tinters to the industry would know about banding and what causes it.

Devil

Archived