suggestions for reducing reflectivity outside looking in?

Guest RobOnTheCape

Guest RobOnTheCape

Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience with a film(hopefully LL or Vista) which can reduce the reflectivity looking into a storefront? A potential customer(and her neighbors I think) have glass which is so reflective that you can hardly see what is inside the storefronts.

Thanks

Rob

I get calls for this from time to time.

Some films claim to slightly reduce the exterior reflectivity - but I doubt they would help enough to justify installing them.

If anyone else knows better I would like to hear also.

Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience with a film(hopefully LL or Vista) which can reduce the reflectivity looking into a storefront? A potential customer(and her neighbors I think) have glass which is so reflective that you can hardly see what is inside the storefronts.

Thanks

Rob

Guest RobOnTheCape

It was suggested to me to try Vista VS 80(ceramic), and that would do the trick. Actually applied an entire piece (40 x 65), and not the slightest difference outside looking in. Great looking out though.

I don't think there is a film on the market that does that.

Hi M.E.B.,

You're correct. The application of a traditional solar control film will increase net surface reflectivity so the problem will get worse, not better. To understand this, just look at any data table comparing VLRe with film vs. clear glass.

To control this problem, the glass must be shaded externally (an awning can help in some cases).

-Howard

Guest RobOnTheCape

I found this company: here and the rep said it will greatly reduce glare, applied from the outside, one year manu warranty, and ordering a roll at almost 40" x 33' it is about $2625.00, or about $24 psf(small discount to be a dealer). They are sending a sample once the revisions to the film have been completed and more arrives. I see a lot of holes in this one, but I'll get a sample and see. Anyone else heard of them? Used this film?

From the website's before and after photos I suppose I see some reduction, but nothing as dramatic as the price would demand.

Guest fredstinting

i have used bronze film to reduce glare from sungard on a number of jobs for this problem and the customers say that it solved there problem

I don't think there is a film on the market that does that.

Hi M.E.B.,

You're correct. The application of a traditional solar control film will increase net surface reflectivity so the problem will get worse, not better. To understand this, just look at any data table comparing VLRe with film vs. clear glass.

To control this problem, the glass must be shaded externally (an awning can help in some cases).

-Howard

Howard, are you sure....?

I found this company: here and the rep said it will greatly reduce glare, applied from the outside, one year manu warranty, and ordering a roll at almost 40" x 33' it is about $2625.00, or about $24 psf(small discount to be a dealer). They are sending a sample once the revisions to the film have been completed and more arrives. I see a lot of holes in this one, but I'll get a sample and see. Anyone else heard of them? Used this film?

From the website's before and after photos I suppose I see some reduction, but nothing as dramatic as the price would demand.

Even if it works, at that price there are going to be few applications for this. But I am curious to hear how it looks.

Archived