global window films

Guest olegus

So far, from what i have seen. Global and Llumar have one of the best optical clarity.

You ought to look around some more. There are films with better optical quality -ime. :D

Hi Rob,

I take it you are referring to Huper and I agree - the optical quality on that product is nothing short of excellent. For the benefit of those who are not aware of it, Huper, Llumar and Vista all come from the same great company - Solutia.

Expanding upon that, I do believe that Huper, Llumar, Vista (Solutia) & Global do have an advantage and there is a practical reason for it. There are only two companies that can dye the poly. The remainder can not produce it in house and must outsource it (to guess who). This is a gospel truth that is known to many who have worked in the industry for an extended period of time.

We have a situation where the primary company that supplies the rest of the industry with dyed polyester also competes with them. It stands to reason that they would save their best components, processes and technology for their own customers.

This is not to say that there are not other terrific films on the market. There most certainly are. But the two that can dye the poly will remain at the "top of the pack". How can any of the others be "better" if they have to buy the single most important component from a competitor?

When it comes down to price, Global has an advantage.

While the perfect roll of window film has never and will never be produced, Global is about as close to perfection as you can get - at very good pricing.

-Howard

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity, how is optical clarity measured?

Hi VTD,

It can be defined as and measured by the absence of haze.

But perhaps what matters most is how it looks to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

-Howard

Pretty good post Howard on just who makes dyed polyester. I know this video has been posted before but it helps the average tinter understand how film is made and what makes Global stand out.<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pWCpeBXQ_7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If all things are equal with polyester then films with the smallest particle size will tend to have better optical quality over larger particle sized. Dyes would naturally look better than say a coated particle... nano-scale particles will look better than larger and so on.

Particle, polyester, adhesive, and SR coat quality will affect optical quality. I didn't name names because there are a lot of good looking films out there, not just two.

There are lots of great films out there. There are lots of bad films out there. For most of us who are installing film it boils down to things like clarity / quality of product, how easy it is to work with, service we receive from our distributor and finally price price price price and then price. We all have to mix these factors together to come up with what film we want to stock.

Particle, polyester, adhesive, and SR coat quality will affect optical quality.

This is true. There are other factors. Things can go wrong in the coating room. It's not rocket science, but it is a difficult and challenging product to mass produce. There are a hundred things that can go wrong and no roll of window film will ever be perfect.

In terms of mass and bulk, the base polyester film comprises the single largest component - but it there is more to it.

-Howard

Out of curiosity, how is optical clarity measured?

Hi VTD,

It can be defined as and measured by the absence of haze.

But perhaps what matters most is how it looks to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

-Howard

Hmm, I thought the difference between clarity and haze was the angle the light is scattered as it passes through the material? I'm pretty sure there is an ASTM rating that measures clarity though; 0-5 rating maybe. I'll read up on it some more.

I think this is an important topic because it helps quantify why people "like" or "dislike" a film. So many times we just agree to disagree but if there is hard evidence to prove what makes certain elements of a product superior, than it begins to raise the bar for our industry standards.

Hmm, I thought the difference between clarity and haze was the angle the light is scattered as it passes through the material?

Hi VTD,

You have it right. Haze will cause light to scatter rather than passing thru a substrate without deflection. It can be measured on-angle or perpendicular.

One issue that has not been mentioned is that a film should not be assessed for haze unless and until the liner is removed. The liner is also made of polyester, but it is generally of a lower grade/higher haze than the polyester in the actual film. It is understood and accepted that the liner will wind up in the trash and the higher the clarity, the more expensive the polyester film.

It's true. Optical clarity is a very important characteristic. The "perfect" film application is one that makes the glass look like it has not been tinted with film, but rather manufactured as a tinted lite.

-Howard

Archived