Classic Black from EWF

Hi Tinhoss,

Sun-Gard & Solar-Gard are legacy/giant names in this industry and have a history of add-on warranty programs. There may have been others I am not remembering.

I was a distributor for Sun-Gard in the late 1980s early 1990s. I remember being involved in some heated debates over whether or not it was a good idea, but I can't remember anyone even remotely suggesting that it was greedy, deceptive, absurd. I guess times have really changed.

As I mentioned in a post above, I did not warm up to the idea at first but the domestic distributor group decided as a whole to move forward. I was wrong. It was a big hit and we brought in some big accounts as a result. The gent that invented the program is still active on these boards. His handle is Capt Bill.

This is the first time EWF has launched something like this since we went private label. Time will tell how well it works, but there does not seem to be any downside.

BTW, I burn 100LL. I think Steve Phillips burns Jet-A!

-Howard

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tinthoss

Hi Tinhoss,

Sun-Gard & Solar-Gard are legacy/giant names in this industry and have a history of add-on warranty programs. There may have been others I am not remembering.

I was a distributor for Sun-Gard in the late 1980s early 1990s. I remember being involved in some heated debates over whether or not it was a good idea, but I can't remember anyone even remotely suggesting that it was greedy, deceptive, absurd. I guess times have really changed.

As I mentioned in a post above, I did not warm up to the idea at first but the domestic distributor group decided as a whole to move forward. I was wrong. It was a big hit and we brought in some big accounts as a result. The gent that invented the program is still active on these boards. His handle is Capt Bill.

This is the first time EWF has launched something like this since we went private label. Time will tell how well it works, but there does not seem to be any downside.

BTW, I burn 100LL. I think Steve Phillips burns Jet-A!

-Howard

How many still do it? LMAO I shall move along from this thread, from this and several other threads you seem like you would stand in front of your mirror for hours till you convinced yourself or your reflection you were right. Good luck with your venture and I thought Jennifer :drool had put her thumb down on the Jet-A it was to costly :lol

Guest NVTHSLEX

Its simply a sales tactic, to increase your pocket money.

The customer is buying 'peace of mind' that he/she is covered if they decide to keep the car for 10+ years.

The way I see extended warranties work, is the one who buys it tends to keep the product longer.

The one that does not buy the 'extended warranty' knows they will probably not keep the car long enough for the extended warranty to be of

any benefit to them.

Sure, its the same film, but you never know if the client that keeps the car for 10 years sees some film defect, and comes back to you to replace for

'FREE' this way since he/she paid for the extended warranty, you would not feel the pinch as bad to remove the film and re-install the film.

Howard, how much would a good upsell in the warranty be, in terms of dollars or percentage of the total job ?

Say without the extended warranty its for 3 or 5 years, on color stability, peeling, bubbles ?

With the extended warranty, its for the length you own the car, (what would be included in the warranty) ?

Its the same when one buys extended warranties on a car. Peace of mind, aint cheap.

Hi NVTHSLEX,

We have still been shipping the Classic Black with the CS warranty included. We have not yet transitioned to the upgrdeable version.

The cost to the dealer for the certificates is very, very small. I know that posting prices here is not an accepted practice, so you will have to call or email me for the exact amount. The program is designed as a money maker for the installer. We sell the Classic 1.2 for example (CS included) at the exact same price as the CB once you factor in the certificates.

The suggested retail for the upgrade is $39.95

For a typical installer that does 4 cars per day, 5 days per week that has a 50% batting average - it means an additional $21,000 in profits at the end of the year. Worst case scenario, the customer says "no".

Like many others, I typically don't go for extended warranties myself, but occasionally I do. It all depends. Just last week, I purchased a new set of tires for my 2003 Honda Element at a reputable tire shop in Pawling NY. The cost was $665.00. For $58, they offered me lifetime "road hazzard" coverage. My first knee jerk reaction was "no". But then I thought about it for a minute and told that fellow he had a deal. As it happens, my wife had a flat tire on her Hyundai last week and it cost me $170.00 to replace just one tire. If I had purcahsed the coverage, it would have paid for itself and then some.

I know some people like this while others don't. This is far from the first time this has been offered in our industry. It's enirely voluntary for the dealers and the customers. We have already decided that once we get it started, we are going to give you the first set of certificates for free with your order - so you can "test drive" the program and determine if it works for you. Just like my tire purchase, you get the same quality product either way.

BTW: I love those Bridgestone Blizzaks !!

-Howard

Guest NVTHSLEX

Hi Howard;

Thanks for the reply.

I did email you today, and you sent all the dealer prices.

But on the forums, I just read about the added CS warranty.

I will be asking more questions, as I also need a recommended film for 50% and 70% you recommended the Classic Black as most popular in Canada.

But I did not see 50% and 70% offerred in the classic black line up.

Thanks

-Hameed K.

Global Qdp is by far the best film I've used..But today I rec'd my order of classic black and tried it out and man it's awsome!! I know they're not suppose to against each but pretty soon they will!! Love the CB plus I got my order superfast great job EWF!!

for those that think QDP shrinks good, u need to try classic black. Shrinks just like Carbon but without that ugly brown,pinkish shade when look at inside out. nice film all around. sorry dont mean to put against Global.

Archived