black 20 year old gooey window caulking

so my work place wants to give me my first ever flat glass job, doing some tall skinny windows in the showroom. the only problem is the borders of all the windows have black soft tar crap along all the windows into the metal borders like the roofers caulking crap thats made to never harden. how do i deal with that? do i have to cut and scrape the excess caulking stuff along the borders so my edges are straight? :thumb

Wet glass along the frames. Run scraper on the glass under the goo at frames. Re wet so it won't re stick to glass then cut real purty like down the frame. Easy peasy. If you kept wet it should kind of roll away from the frames. The key is to keep the goo wet. This way you don't get too much on your tools and fingers. I usually have a liner around to drop the goo pile on and roll it up and toss. I use WD-40 to clean the tools and fingers when needed.

Guest VOLTRON

like fox said keep wet, I would also recommend to use a 4inch power scraper, it has a 4 inch blade and the blade is stronger so it wont break or chip as easy as a triumph scraper. Take the blade of the scraper and run it along the edge of the frame and it will removed the silicone and give you a clean edge along the frame of the window.

Archived