2 door Cobalt installers. Step inside.

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

So here's the one I did today. Customer got a hold of me after having it done at another shop, and was charged for a complete tint job and the installer couldn't get the back window to turn out, and still charged him. So he wanted me to redo the whole car...

Here's the door windows at the top. I know I'm not a pro but come on...

IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

After.

IMG_7045.jpg

IMG_7048.jpg

And here's the BG. Bottom looks good, But you can see the pockets of air under the dot matrix. The more I try to get them out the worse it guess. I guess there's no coming back after this eh?

IMG_7058.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

IMG_7053.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you did the BG? If so what kind of tint are you using to not have it stick on the dotrix? Im not trying to be a dick but kinda could have been waaay better. Sure you cleaned and scrubbed towards the bottom edge of that BG?

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

I'm using EWF TB. The picture's show a lot of dust laying on the out side of the BG. Yes theres some dirt on the inside as well. And as far as the tint not sticking to the dots, I've never done a Cobalt to know how they would stick. I'm used to just sanding them, but I've done this on a 2 door cavi and the tint didn't stick work a chit. So I tried the glue method, and when I pull the tint down to the bottom of the dots and lay the glue, and start to hard card it back up, it get's those air pockets and when I hard card over them, it's like the adhesive is already stuck around the bubbles and just makes it look way worse. I know that my work isn't top notch, but my customer's also know this as well, which is why I don't charge as much as the other shops close to my area. But this car was done by a shop that advertise's for window tinting and charged the custy for a full tint job and removal of tint that was on the car upon the custy dropping it off, and the installed never installed any tint at all on the back glass. Though the glass is all scratched to hell, as if he used a coarse scrubby pad.

I'm hear to learn and to better my tinting skills. And only way I know to do that is for me to post my chitty tint's and be honest and ask for way's to help me correct things for the next job. Not all of my BG installs look like that. But the custy was happy with it and said "it's better than paying for it to be there and not having anything there at all!"

Oh and I hope you guys are realizing that the glass is reflecting the drywall mudd from the ceiling of my garage lol. Maybe that's throwing some of you off.

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Heat ,pressure and time will get those fingers down.

But I find the more I work at a finger, the worse it begins to look... Turns from one giant finger into a bunch a tiny ones. Like it suck all the dirt up from under the sill even after I clean under it 3 times and spray it down pretty good with my slip during the install, or dirt from around the edge of the BG.

fun car 2 do. as far as shrinking, cut the sides perfect or a little short. you probably noticed the film was 2 big on the inside. this will give you less to shrink. small finger on the side get huge if you H it out. so just a horizontal wet line is good. i like baby powder so you can %&$# finger up or down as necessary. start on the easy quadrant in the middle and work your way out to the sides. by overshrinking the middle it will pull the headaches from the corners. as far asw the dots, 300 wetsand paper to remove the glaze off them and i use probond to accelerate the drying. wrap a hardcard in a chamois to squeegee the dots. turbo squeegees wont get the water out and hardcard by itself will crease the film around the dots. if needed heat the outside of the BG to dry the dots and final squeegee with a wrapped hardcard. if you use thin towels wrap the hard card a few times to get between the dots

Guest scottydosnntkno

Im back from being lost in the deep :krazy

for those spots under the matrix, its air bubbles not dirt spots right(mostly)? They come from pulling air out of the defroster line, and the fact that you were heating it at the same time dried the adhesive and resulted in those bubbles. They're easy to fix.

Just pull back all the film at the top, spray with water, let it sit for 10 seconds and then lay it back down and squeegee it out again. They will go away and not hurt the film. Trust me, i'm familiar with TB and use it a ton. Looks a lot better than leaving it like that as even when dry they will still be noticeable.

Guest scottydosnntkno

Good. Staying busy. Well, tint has slowed down with the cold weather but that huge job I did a few months ago is nice to have in the bank.

Finally bought my new baby, a '06 f250 with 55k miles. Put a lift new wheels/tires and a plow on it, then lined up enough accounts that I bought a second one :D plus most of my accoutns are seasonal so Im still gettin paid even though its not snowing :boogie

also started making a million tshirts/hoodies. Been getting a lot of 200+ item orders the last few months.

Archived