How long do you use a turbo squeegee before throwing it out?

Here lately I've been using up a turbo squeegee in about a week. I know that's ridiculous, but I use them to clean and apply. They still apply just fine, but get little nicks in them very quickly and start to leave contamination behind while cleaning. The nicks are caused by making a second pass on dry tint when applying. Yeah, I know I should spray the tint before making another pass, but I'm trying to get stuff knocked out. I have the smoothie squeegee as well, but like to keep the tools I'm carrying at a minimum. Do any of you guys have the same problem?

just wipe the squeegee off before making a pass over the film or just simply wet it. i dont understand where you are picking up enough contamination to make a knick in the squeegee when smoothing the film out. do you razor blade all windows before you use your squeegee to clean?

It's not contamination that's causing the nicks. When making a second pass over dry tint while applying, it will leave yellow streaks on the tint. That's what's causing it. I've used turbo squeegees in the past that would last months. Maybe it's just the blank I'm cutting them from. Seems harder then my old turbo squeegees for some reason.

I started out cleaning/installing with a yellow turbo and switched to a blue max and a 6" channel all on unger handles. Once i made the switch i can't even imagine using turbos. Now, i only use the yellow turbo and small black smoothie for small 1/4's.

ive had the same yellow turbo for a couple years now and it still works good. it will help if you have a dedicated cleaning squeegee and one for first pass on film or 1/4 windows. never squeegee the window when its dry. also might be the tint you use maybe its not allowing the squeegee to move across the tint as it should.

I too use 2 yellow turbo's, one for cleaning, and one for my first pass once the tint is on (then blue max)....always used when wetted. Once the one for first pass starts to show some age, it gets retired to being the cleaning squeegee. About a year...sometimes longer. Also, always wipe your squeegee after each pass....only takes a second, but pays off in the end. :thumb

Archived