Going to the Dealerships

I would absolutely start to visit them now, and at least twice a month. You prob wont get any biz right now, as this is the slow time in the automotive field as well, but when the spring comes and they need something done, they will remember the guy who came in multiple times over the winter.

Make a price sheet for every dealership.

And yes, once you get in, they will twist your arm, threaten you, re-negotiate, starve you, and never love you even though you never caused any problems. Like Tom said, they will constantly go through mgrs, so you will have to be ready for a new "interview" with each one. I have been dropped and picked back up by the same dealership 4 times in the past 3 years. Longest time not there was 2 months.

Want some advice from someone that has done dealer work for over 20 yrs ? Dont listen to any advice from anyone here that thinks they know how dealers work , think , or treat you. Fact of the matter is some dealers are great, some dealers suck, many will think nothing of throwing a tint job on a $50000 car for $5 less from a hack than an experienced tinter with no thought of longevity of the tint for the customers sake. Some dealers understand that a good tinter needs a vacation too and will sell a car without tint telling a customer to come back next week when their trusted tinter is refreshed from a well deserved vacation to do a top notch job.

I've seen it all, thrown the turd dealers away, bend over backwards the the dealers I call my friends.

Just keep one thing in mind when knowing who you want as a customer: you work for you , not for them, it should be a win win for both, if you feel your losing get out and move on to dealers you win with... They are out there.

Good luck, it's a learning curve with dealers but worth it in the end.

Want some advice from someone that has done dealer work for over 20 yrs ? Dont listen to any advice from anyone here that thinks they know how dealers work , think , or treat you. Fact of the matter is some dealers are great, some dealers suck, many will think nothing of throwing a tint job on a $50000 car for $5 less from a hack than an experienced tinter with no thought of longevity of the tint for the customers sake. Some dealers understand that a good tinter needs a vacation too and will sell a car without tint telling a customer to come back next week when their trusted tinter is refreshed from a well deserved vacation to do a top notch job.

I've seen it all, thrown the turd dealers away, bend over backwards the the dealers I call my friends.

Just keep one thing in mind when knowing who you want as a customer: you work for you , not for them, it should be a win win for both, if you feel your losing get out and move on to dealers you win with... They are out there.

Good luck, it's a learning curve with dealers but worth it in the end.

Super advice there TintWizard,

Ive had similar with valeting for dealerships

some dealers are great, some dealers suck, many will think nothing of throwing a tint job on a $50000 car for $5 less from a hack than an experienced tinter with no thought of longevity of the tint for the customers sake. Some dealers understand that a good tinter needs a vacation too and will sell a car without tint telling a customer to come back next week when their trusted tinter is refreshed from a well deserved vacation to do a top notch job.

Good luck, it's a learning curve with dealers but worth it in the end.

Exactly...but then again.......

Dont listen to any advice from anyone here that thinks they know how dealers work , think , or treat you.

...don't listen to me....

:lol

When kept in it's original context, it does make sense :lol I guess I could have kept it short by saying don't believe anyone here that says that all dealer work is great or that all dealerwork sukks , neither is true :

Lots of good advice here :thumb

Rarely does dealership business come to you overnight... but if you are persistant and find the right ones to work with it can be a healthy relationship...

You need to also keep in mind that most dealers don't pay right away.... Most pay net 30 or net 45.. so be sure you have the finances behind you to be without that money for a while... I know a lot of vendors who have gone out of business because they couldn't wait out the 'net' terms from the dealerships.... :twocents

Archived