Had a pissed off customer call me today

:lol Yep, you can find pricing on just about everything if you want too.

You absolutely can.

But who even wants to know? Maybe I am alone in thinking this way, or maybe I am strange. I could care less about what another man's costs of doing business are. If he is making an honest living and earning an honest buck - I say let him have his profit. Why would I spend a minute of my time and mental energy thinking about what this man's costs and margins are? He quotes me a price and I say "yes - I want it" or "no thanks - not for me".

Not everything that is knowable is even worth knowing.

-Howard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howard, I have to ask, if what YOU paid for your film was published in an open format....Do you think this would have a negative impact or could contribute to problems in running your business in a profitable manner?

That's an interesting question.

First of all, there are so many variables. Our costs rise/fall based upon a list of factors present at the time the order is placed. Second, even if you knew to the penny what our COGS was, you still would have only part of the picture. The costs of running this operation are staggering.

Hmm.....very much like a small business only on a bigger scale....interesting

So would it hurt us? Yes, because our pricing with our suppliers is confidential and they could cut us off.

What if it WAS your supplier that was publishing these prices?

But in terms of the pure knowledge? I don't think it would give you very good idea of how much money we were making or losing on any given roll of film.

What you are making or losing does not have any bearing when your customers/dealers know what YOU are paying for it and how much THEY are paying YOU for it. Do you see what I am getting at here?

-Howard

Do you see what I am getting at here?

-Howard

Yes. Believe me, your point is not lost on me. I don't disagree with you. But most people understand that COGS is only one expense among many and simply leave it at that.

-Howard

I would like to thank everyone that weighed in here an respectfully submitted their opinions.

I am going to "sleep on it" over the weekend. Perhaps next week, Pasquale, Andrew & I will go out to breakfast as we often do and discuss it. We may very well revert to the a password protected version in the near future.

I understand and respect everyone's opinion. Thank you for expressing yourself!

It looks like we are in for a magnificent spring weekend here in the Northeast, outside of a few scattered showers. I hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

-Howard

Guest Mobile1

:lol Yep, you can find pricing on just about everything if you want too.

You absolutely can.

But who even wants to know? Maybe I am alone in thinking this way, or maybe I am strange. I could care less about what another man's costs of doing business are. If he is making an honest living and earning an honest buck - I say let him have his profit. Why would I spend a minute of my time and mental energy thinking about what this man's costs and margins are? He quotes me a price and I say "yes - I want it" or "no thanks - not for me".

Not everything that is knowable is even worth knowing.

-Howard

Totally agree, I just had some concrete work done and I could give a flying %&$# how much the concrete cost. I hope them boys got it for free actually, looked like hard work.

Some people are so uptight it is just unbelievable, if that was my customer I would have said he could of just asked me prior to the install and I gladly would of told him the cost, end of discussion.

Guest Mobile1

I would like to thank everyone that weighed in here an respectfully submitted their opinions.

I am going to "sleep on it" over the weekend. Perhaps next week, Pasquale, Andrew & I will go out to breakfast as we often do and discuss it. We may very well revert to the a password protected version in the near future.

I understand and respect everyone's opinion. Thank you for expressing yourself!

It looks like we are in for a magnificent spring weekend here in the Northeast, outside of a few scattered showers. I hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

-Howard

Why would you change your entire business model based on a few peoples opinion?

I wouldn't worry about it, I gladly take a pass on uptight customers.

The real fact is that it doesn't matter to a customer of ours in the window film industry what we pay for film. They are not paying for the film but rather paying for US the installer and our skill set. The only time they should or really can say anything is if the window film dealer is breaking down the price by materials and labor. That would be a situation that would make me mad if someone did that to me and I found out they marked up material a great amount.

When you get a vehicle painted, a house built, plumbing done, or how about a major surgery? what is the thought on how much the material cost? Very little. How much did the surgeon pay for the material compared to the thousands they charge us?

oh and I have bought film from Llumar, Sun-gard, Johnson, Global (3 different distributors), and Geoshield. I have never been asked for any proof of business or license, or any such thing........

The real fact is that it doesn't matter to a customer of ours in the window film industry what we pay for film. They are not paying for the film but rather paying for US the installer and our skill set. The only time they should or really can say anything is if the window film dealer is breaking down the price by materials and labor. That would be a situation that would make me mad if someone did that to me and I found out they marked up material a great amount.

When you get a vehicle painted, a house built, plumbing done, or how about a major surgery? what is the thought on how much the material cost? Very little. How much did the surgeon pay for the material compared to the thousands they charge us?

:golf:thumb

Had a guy buy a roll of film across the counter back in the early 90's and flew it back to Germany on his own jet. A few weeks later he called to say he could not find anyone to put it up on his car collection garage windows; flew me over all expense paid to do the job for him.

Just goes to show there are all kinds of consumers and sizes of wallets (in any industry).

Guest MRRCGUY

I personally would not buy film from my supplier that showed the prices on the website. Notice I didn't say "never", but it would be extremely unlikely.

Archived