The Sales Pitch

How and what else do you guys add in your pitch for a sale?

Or is it basically just...

X Film rejects 50% heat, 99% UV and comes with a Lifetime Warrantee.

What other important % values help and should be addressed to bring it all together?

I today called 4 different shops of the same franchise and 3 independants who all use the same branded film.

Not one gave me the same heat rejection values.

Their claims of a totally legal (35% all around are our state laws) metallized film blocked.

1 shop said 70%. Another said 60+ and the rest were all in between.

Can this be correct? Does plain auto glass reject some heat, so combined with film can get in the 60's?

How would I combat this without pulling out imaginative figures?

Do you use the same approach for flat glass?

I really need this education as I'm not just an installer anymore.

Cheers.

GTint.

Ha ha GTint, welcome to tinting sales 101 Aussie style.

Probably the same Stateside but this has always been the g-o in Aus. Creative fudging of numbers to outdo the competition.Dont get into it - one way or another you come unstuck.

There is a standard testing (film on glass) which manufacturers should (and generally do) adhere to. The fantastic numbers are not the manufacturers figures.

Try recommending a film to suit the customers car, ask questions, listen to the answers and strike up a conversation. Sometimes being interested in your customer is the only difference between all the other quotes.

If asked show the fantastic figures to be BS but DONT badmouth the opposition in the process.

Melbourne has by all accounts been a better market for tinting so enjoy...

Thanks for the positive feedback Rocky.

Just gets me upset, thats all.

Going by some figures I found. MEP's figures of Llumars ATR 30 CH applied to green 4mm glass with a VLT of 78% has a heat rejection of 58% and a VLT of 30%.

Llumars figures state that the same coded film has heat rejection of 46% and 33% VLT but doesnt say what type of glass its been tested on. I tested it and Llumars VLT figure is correct on clear glass.

So going by a furmula I found on tintdude.

Its not the true ATR 30 CH but something like ATR 35 CH with 38% VLT applied to the green glass.

Formula:

30 (desired total VLT%) divided by 78 (glass vlt %) = a 38% vlt film needs to be applied to the green 78% vlt glass.

so does that mean that the 38% vlt film which has a heat rejection of 44% (Llumars specs) increases to 58% (MEP specs) when applied to green glass??

MEP must have made a mistake because the ATR 30 CH has a VLT of 33% on clear glass. Applied to 78% VLT green glass would give a total of around 25% VLT and not the claimed 30% VLT.

Dont know what to believe? I hope I got the formulas correct?

If your sales pitch just discusses film type and it's performance values, then I have no reason to come to you unless you have the lowest price.

You see, I am an uneducated consumer, I think tint is like any other product, the only difference is price, unless you educate me, I'm going with the lowest price I can find.

Tell me why I should come to your shop if you offer the same product as the guy down the street.

when selling flat glass the first thing I ask a custy is what they are looking for the window film to do. Listen to them, and then show them samples that will meet their needs and still be safe for their windows. If you just hand them a swatch book and say pick one. It will backfire on you half the time. So I don't even show custys films that will not meet their goals or be unsafe for their windows.

If your sales pitch just discusses film type and it's performance values, then I have no reason to come to you unless you have the lowest price.

You see, I am an uneducated consumer, I think tint is like any other product, the only difference is price, unless you educate me, I'm going with the lowest price I can find.

Tell me why I should come to your shop if you offer the same product as the guy down the street.

The best sales people do more listening than talking. Let the customer tell you what they want and expand from there.

x2, listen to your customer and work with them to find the best result for them. They will feel you value what they have to say and you will most likely win doing that alone. Also, educate the customer about window tint and be honest about what it does and doesn't do per level. I always talk about our hassle free warranty because when I look at reviews on tint shops, a lot of the complaints is not when they first get the job done, it is when they come back for a warranty and they got nothing but attitude, had to pay for film...only labor was warrantied, etc. Like they said, if the only info you offer is price, brand, and numbers they will simply go to the lower priced shop because frankly you didn't give them any reason to choose you.

Thanks guys.

I totaly understand and agree.

Maybe I asked a stupid question?

I would have thought that the science and technology behind the product would get you the sale more times than not. Especially when you have to sell to an architect or engineer but thats more FG and I have found that they tell me what they want. So I give them exactly that.

Anyways, I still wonder whether the heat rejection of auto film tested on clear glass increases when applied to green 78% VLT glass :chin

First question of the Customer might be:

"what are you expecting of the tint ?"

Expand on it from theree, Customer might just want it done, cause it looks cool, another might say they like to have the sun glare reduced through the drivers window, another might mention how the interior of a previous car faded horribly.

Might be a better way to ask the first question, but as soon as you get them talking about what they are looking for, you can tailor your answer and product to their specific situation.

They just may use you, having taken the time to develop that relationship with them, understanding what you product is best for their situation, as opposed to this guy I came across one day.

That sets you apart from the shops where a Customer walks in to ask about tint, and the shop person tellsem "our samples are on the wall, we got good, better, and best. Which one you want, Pal ?"

Archived