Dog for the shop

ok it has almost been a month since my baby went to heaven and we are thinking of getting a new dog. My rotty was wonderful and I love the breed but am concerned with some of the health issues the breed seems to have. I know a lot of you guys have dogs in the shop, what do you have? or what would you recommend?

Ariel, our dog, was with us 24/7, and was everything from a protector, door greeter, cuddler and a babysister to my neices. I really didn't think I would lose her so young, and she was perfect for us, just losing her to a breed specific genetic problem was really really hard, and I'd like to find a healthier alternative, even if it is spending a grand or more on a clean bloodline. I know a lot about horse breeding, but not much about dog breeding. Generally horses aren't nearly as overbreed as dogs, and therefore don't have as many genetic issues as dogs, I knew there were some issues with larger breed dogs, but had no idea the vast array of problems breeds like the rottweilers can have. Any help or advice would be great, I really want to have a dog around again.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a couple of mutts, and they were good dogs, but I am really about what a dog was breed for. With a mutt, you aren't sure what that bloodline was designed for. I guess I am this way because I was really into horses and specific breeds when I was younger. You wouldn't take a Clydesdale on a cattle drive or to a track, but they would deliver the beer on time.

Mines a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (smallest of the lab breeds) . She 's in the shop with me every day watching me with her beady little eyes quietly in the corner. She's the best employee ever. She works for biscuits :lol

Go adopt or rescue a dog in need. The best dogs I've had have be mutts. :twocents

I agree, however, we rescued a Pit mix that ended up biting my son in the face. She was gone the next day.

Still agree rescues are the best unless you get one thats a puppy, however, my opinion of Pits were confirmed, even after having mine for nearly 2 years. I do miss her though. Given what happened, she was a really good dog. I simply couldnt trust her after the incident though.

The day we took her in to be put down.

IMG_0222.jpg

A pit mix AND a rescue, I can see where there was a possibility of that.

Not all rescue stories are good but having a dog my whole life , my present one was the only rescue and has been the best overall to date

I'd say a lab, I am a sucker for them. But they can have health issues. Other than that I'd go for a rescue dog. Since there is really no rush you can spend the time and find a big sweetie that fits your personality. There are good ones in the shelters, don't discount them just cause they are mutts. The best dog I've ever seen was our childhood dog and she was a mutt through and through. But she listened, was protective when she needed to be, sweet when she needed to be and loved kids. Just my :twocents

I got a Rotty in 1986. This was before the explosion in popularity and over breeding. He was a great great dog. I had him for 14 years and that is a long life for a Rotty. After losing him I took a few years to get another dog and we got a Doberman. He was by far the most well behaved,smartest and most loyal dog to date. We lost him when he was 13 and it broke my heart. We now have another Doberman and a Weimariner. The Dobe is nothing like my past one ( those are big shoes to fill ) but the Weimariner is a great dog, people love them because of their color and big ears, they have few inherent medical issues and ours is perfectlly happy outside playing in the yard or lounging on the couch waiting for dinner.

Archived