Dog for the shop

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first dog of my own was a Rotty. I got him in 1986, ...way before they were the in thing. He was a fantastic dog, very friendly and loved to be petted. I knew the house was safe when we left and he was home alone. Although if someone came in he would probably show them where the silverware was kept. I'm not so sure they are the smartest dogs on the bus, but they sure are loyal.

One Rotty we had named Ned the Head was pretty smart. Everyday Ned and my mom would go get the newspaper. She would let him carry it up to the front door. He was really good about not ripping them up, etc. He'd just put them on the front walkway. So one day...he get out of our fence really early. He had gone to our neighbors driveways and grabbed their newspapers. We wake up and there are 6 copies of the Newspress on our front porch. It was the funniest thing ever. The neighbor wasnt small either. It mustve taken him at least 30-45 min to collect all the papers. We then walked him on a leash to each house and told everyone the story. Everyone thought it was hilarious.

my last rotty loved toys and we have a store right across the street from us where we would usually get them. She got a new toy weekly, she was spoiled. Anyway, we usually left the garage open and she went outside. She never ran, I figured she was going to the bathroom so I didn't say anything. A few minutes later she comes galloping in with a guilty look on her face. Looked around and couldn't figure it out really, so shrugged and went on with our day. After closing we loaded up to head home and headed across to the store. One of the cashiers saw us pull up and got a huge grin on her face. She asks if Ari is our dog, then says she has something to show us.

She pulls up the security feed from earlier that day and there is Ari, trotting through the backdoor like she owns the place. She goes right to the toy isle, pulls out a few toys, tests a few, finds one she likes and starts to trot out, happy as hell. The cashier showing us the tape then comes around the corner, screams, which freaks Ari out and Ari bolts, dropping the toy. (Ari was 100lbs at this stage so pretty intimidating) The cashier says she is scared of larger dogs and she says she about had a heartattack, but then went back and watch the security fed and just laughed and laughed about Ari picking out her new toy. I apologized, although we were both laughing and offered to buy all the toys she messed with. So once I spent $40 on toys, the cashier asks if she can give the toy Ari picked out to her. I told her if she wanted to and told her Ari was a gentle giant. So she gave Ari the toy (the look on Ari's face was priceless) and they became friends. After that Ari would go visit the gal whenever she was outside having a smoke. Ari made her feel safe and was the first large dog the gal ever liked. She would sneak Ari a toy or two that fell off the back of truck after that as well.

ugh, I miss that big girl. /sigh

My first dog of my own was a Rotty. I got him in 1986, ...way before they were the in thing. He was a fantastic dog, very friendly and loved to be petted. I knew the house was safe when we left and he was home alone. Although if someone came in he would probably show them where the silverware was kept. I'm not so sure they are the smartest dogs on the bus, but they sure are loyal.

I have seen some dumb rotties, but have been blessed to never have one :) Our first one my dad rescued from an abusive a**hole. We had dobermans at the time as well, my dad used to breed the dobs. The rotty was still a pup but our older dobby, Zach, straightened him out and gave him a set of rules and manners. So we named him Dan, although my dad wanted to name him bear, and he was the best dog we had ever had. He had a different relationship with each member of the household. He went on walks with my mom in the morning, played with my brothers in the afternoon, and followed me when I rode horses in the evening. He let my little sister brush him and paint his toenails hot pink. He was fearless and even took on a pack of coyotes one winter. I had to give him backup with my rifle, but he was a brave dog. Hubs had an equally amazing rotty named Daisy, she was stolen right before we met. We have just always been in love with them.

now I am gettin all misty...

My ex gf had an Arabian. That horse sucked. Really pretty. But mean and stubborn as anything.

PS GG, that was by far the most intelligent and well worded summation of what every dog owner should think/know. I'm really impressed.

Arabians are amazing horses, highly intelligent, but they don't put up with bullshit and most that I have run into are one person horses. I had an older one we boarded at our farm. He was very gentle, he had been raised correctly and when he passed he was 33 years old but he just had a good spirit in general. He knew more tricks that I did when it came to shows. I didn't ride him much but you put a saddle on him and he was all business. Gorgeous dapple. But I worked with several breeders throughout my youth and the arabians always impressed but they weren't for the casual owner imo. If they knew you knew what you were doing they were fine, but if you didn't, you were getting rubbed into a fence or run into that low hanging branch there. :)

One Rotty we had named Ned the Head was pretty smart. Everyday Ned and my mom would go get the newspaper. She would let him carry it up to the front door. He was really good about not ripping them up, etc. He'd just put them on the front walkway. So one day...he get out of our fence really early. He had gone to our neighbors driveways and grabbed their newspapers. We wake up and there are 6 copies of the Newspress on our front porch. It was the funniest thing ever. The neighbor wasnt small either. It mustve taken him at least 30-45 min to collect all the papers. We then walked him on a leash to each house and told everyone the story. Everyone thought it was hilarious.

Too funny :lol

Archived