comparing window film specs

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there are any rules limiting it. Some suppliers post such items as "On Angle TSER" and "IR" while others do not and do not support that type of marketing so I can't think anyone could limit NFRC.

This is a subject I'm pretty passionate about due to the simplicity, professionalism and recognition this industry gained from NFRC ratings.

Dan, to make it clear. TSER and SHGC are equally related. If one is 40% the other is .60, TSER is the amount of heat rejected, SHGC is the amount allowed to pass through. SHGC is more commonly used, TSER is only found in the window film industry.

There are numerous issues behind factory spec sheets that could be solved by using NFRC ratings.

• We don't all use the same type of glass. Some use 1/4" some 1/8" this can alter performance to make one product look superior to another without many noticing.
  • Some do not include dual pane windows on their sheets, virtually no one includes the various type of glass we are actually installing film on. Thus end users are not getting accurate performance figures for how window film is actually performing on the type of glass they have.
  • We do not use the same testing methods.
  • We include countless numbers few of us understand or need when presenting to an end user, it looks very confusing.
  • No outside organization monitoring us and our products to ensure they are actually performing as we state they are.
  • Testing is done on a plate of glass with no frame. This is not an accurate representation of how window film performs in the real world.

I could go on and on but you get the point. Learn and study NFRC ratings, they will help you instantly cut the BS and sell based on real performance. It is by far the most helpful selling tool I have encountered and it is helping legitimize this industry.

GO NFRC!

[

The problem is that some report TSER on-angle and others at 90 degrees and some report on 3mm SP and other on 6mm SP and then some use differing methods to come up with their TSER numbers... there is no neutral standard to compare against except NFRC.

Its purported that legislation recently passed in Euro region (unsure if all of the union or one segment) makes it illegal to promote/market film performance on angle and the use of IR rejection (haven't found announcement link to verify).

Do you have a link to what the NFRC standards/methods of testing are? I remember searching awhile back and couldn't find much on it.

Should be NFRC 300 I don't have the link.

Correct and I don't have a link either.

My pleasure! Anything that helps a dealer get more jobs through good old honest hard work and creativeness I am 100% behind.

I've won major projects with this data, cleared clouds of confusion over products based on factory spec sheets and earned the respect of many engineers and utility company employees by educating them on NFRC ratings. It's my secret weapon I'm happy to share.

There are limits.The NFRC chart works great until you get a customer with Solarban 70 or something that is not modeled in the NFRC label. When this happens I have my customers contact me and I will run then a custom model on the correct glazing and they will get the same accuracy as NFRC.

Archived