my 1st td post, needing some advice

Hello all ! I've been reading quietly on this site for quite some time now and have really learned a lot from you guys, this site rocks. I've been tinting for myself, family and friends off and on for several years (more off than on) This past summer I really started to do quite a few trucks and cars in my spare time. In dec I really started to try and make it a full time gig (I had to, I was laid off from my regular job and won't be called back) Some days I go out to my shop and feel like a rock star but other days I get my arse handed to me by what should be simple jobs because of little mistakes ( contamination, an edge not looking right, a small crease in the middle of the window that I have no idea how it got there and so on) I have read hundreds of threads on here and watched what seems like countless hours of youtube videos. I guess my question for you is should I invest in some training videos, training or just come to the conclusion it's not for me. I have probably done around 40 jobs since dec and I feel that I should be way faster and not be wasting as much film as I do. I try to hold myself to high standards and have only had a couple come back to be redone, which I am proud of. I have always loved doing this in the past, but now it has gotten to the point that it is frustrating, and I am about ready to give up. Any advice I get will be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Seems like you got a love for it and the right attitude, the rest can be taught.

Get Stans dvd's or get to his training school would be even better, it will make all the difference.

Oh, and remember, it's only tint.

Guest MidcoastMW

I was at the same point you were. I'm sure every tinter was too. It's not easy man, just keep at it.

My best advice would be keep banging out QUALITY work. Evern if you have to redo a window 4 times and it takes you 4-5hrs per car. Just inform the custy you will need the vehicle for about 5 hours... take your time, plan out your cuts and strategies (every car is different as you're obviously seeing) and like Rocky just said up there.... "it's only tint". :bottle:rock

you are right bama, it is hard to do when frustrated. I'm not afraid to invest money into my future, but are the videos and training truly worth the money for someone that has a bit of a clue as how to do this, or is it geared for someone that is truly a newbie and has never touched a piece of film? I had a guy tell me not to spend the $ on training at this point because I already had a little knowledge and that the only thing that would help is practice. Is he feeding me a line of bull?

Gotta ask yourself.... do you think you know more than Stan?

He's imparting what he has learned over many years which will be a huge short cut for you.

You will know some of it , which will reinforce that you are on the right track, there will be many little things that will be revelations to you though.

When I started out, I went to a 2 week live in course doing 12 hour days, went back to my business and tinted full time for 3 months, then went back to school for another week for more training (eventhough now I had a basic idea of what I was doing)

Guess which training time I found more valuable in the long run?

Hey Dtint, how about an intro to include where you are located besides just Illinois.....

There is so much that Stan or anyone could teach you though....

And as for having FITS! It happens no matter how many windows you tint. I have been doing tint for 13 years as my only income and did the "on and off" bit for 10 years before that......

Archived