my 1st td post, needing some advice

Thanks for the advice guys. As far as an intro, I am from a small town about 45min from st louis and have worked doing home improvement since high school (I am 39 now) and have been a gear head since a kid. I lost my job of eleven years due to piss poor management and to younger cheaper help that I trained. I decided I'm ready to move on to the next stage in my life and do something that I liked and to be my own boss so I could spend more time with my wife and two boys (6 and 4). With that being said, do you guys think Stan's DVDs are a good way to go, or just say screw it and drop the money for the class. It is a lot of money, especially right now, but I don't want to buy the DVDs only to turn around and decide I need the class. Thanks for all of the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Here is my advise, take it for what it's worth. .. When I started, I wanted to tint everything. No matter what it was. After several thousand cars, I realized most of them are some sort of PITA on some level. At that point I decided that I would refuse to tint anything more than 3 years old. This greatly reduced the number of dirt boxes that showed up at my door. And reduced some headaches as well. At that time I was fortunate to have a steady stream of cars every day and could then cherry pick the ones that were a minimal ammount of aggravation. So my advise to you is to be selective as to what you put your effort into. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken chit. If the car is a roach... Pass on it. You can hone your skills on plenty of "easier" cars, until you develop a skill set that allows you to tackle more difficult situations.

if you are having trouble just give us a call anytime, we can help you through some specifics. Stan's classes are a must have imo. And tinting is a good skill to have and perfect, there will be tint work for years to come. Running a business is hard work. Especially with all the headaches of being an owner and money maker, but if you practice you will get better. Flat glass is also a great investment, but just like auto lots to learn.

the problem where we are at DI is that everyone is pressed for time, all the time and they want their stuff done quickly, just give yourself enough time to do it right.

if you need/want them we can cut kits out for you on the sucky cars just fyi.

oh and don't let ppl watch you tint...that will mess you up lol

come on man....45 miles covers ALOT of ground....I am not much farther than that and Guardian Graphics is just a bit closer to StL....

what town? Mascoutah comes close to those miles.... I cover Centralia and Mount Vernon.... would be happy to help you out sometime as well.

Stan might let you come in for certain days if he has a class going on and you have more than just beginning questions. He is a great guy. Call him....

My favorite golf analogy-say you inherited your grandpa's golf clubs and golf was a sport that really interested you. If you took the clubs down to the range with no instruction, you might end up being able to hit the ball down the course. However you would pick up some bad habits. Now if you paid an instructor to teach you the proper way to hold and swing a club I'm sure you'd be a lot better and more effecient golfer. In my opinion learning window tint is a lot like learning to golf. If you learn from someone who knows, you don't pick up the bad habits. Therefor you end up a better, more efficient tinter.

Archived