Helpful Tips -How to Cope With Setbacks

I read a lot and have to attend a seminar/speaking engagement from time to time so I try to find something useful for myself and my customers. Here are some notes I took;

In life and business, setbacks are inevitable; it's how you deal with them that determines your ultimate success.

1. Realize they're temporary.

Every successful person has encountered setbacks, learning what doesn't work is an essential part of learning what does! Setbacks are a sign that you're making progress. Remember: Delays are not denial.

2. Recommit to your goals.

If you truly want to succeed, banish all thoughts of giving up before you accomplish your objective. Be willing to do whatever it takes to succeed, within legal and ethical bounds. You will get there eventually.

3. Contact some positive colleagues.

Positive emotions are contagious, so this is a great time to reconnect with people who believe in themselves and believe in you. Give positive encouragement to others and they'll return the favor. Get energized together!

4. Reset your timetable.

You may not be achieving success as quickly as you'd hoped, but success generally comes one small step at a time. This is a great time to "retrench" and think through what you might do differently to achieve your goals.

5. Take action today.

Pursuing success is like riding a horse; if you get thrown off, you've got to get right back on it. Rather than dwell on the setback, take some action--right now--that will continue your momentum.

Nice Rob, .. Remember, success is many different things to many people. What one person calls success, another may call it excess. The older I get the less I want to conquer the world and instead, just be content with what I have. If I can do that. I would call that success. some would call it giving up or quitting.

Nice Rob, .. Remember, success is many different things to many people. What one person calls success, another may call it excess. The older I get the less I want to conquer the world and instead, just be content with what I have. If I can do that. I would call that success. some would call it giving up or quitting.

They are just notes I took. Personally, I prefer to view things as 'goals' because as you said Tom, 'success is many different things to many people.' We set a goal for ourselves and it could be anything... we either reach it or we don't. My goals are probably different from yours but no more important, except to me. If I reach them, then that is success to me. The thing I appreciated here is not to let setbacks knock you off focus. :beer

Archived