Is it Sungard or Solarguard that turns clear?

Sun Gard was making "homeopathic tint" so it only called for a very small amount of dye.

Homeopathic tint

"involves a process known by practitioners as "dynamisation" or "potentisation" whereby a substance is diluted with alcohol or distilled water and then vigorously shaken in a process called "succussion". Insoluble solids, such as quartz and oyster shell, are diluted by grinding them with lactose (trituration). The founder of homeopathy, Samuel Hahnemann (1755 — 1843) believed that the process of succussion activated the "vital energy" of the diluted substance,[1] and that successive dilutions increased the "potency" of the remedy."

http://en.wikipedia....athic_dilutions

j/k lol

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A number of manufactures utilize dye in the laminate constructions. Now, this type of construction will never turn purple, dye in the polyester (bath dye) will turn purple but not lose VLT.

:yeah

I agree with both Capt Bill and Vquest.

Products which have either dyed laminating adhesive or dyed mounting adhesive will retain their color, but gain VLT over time. These products can be categorized as "coated" films as opposed to traditional dip-dyed products which are the "Gold Standard".

Capt Bill is correct. It is more a function of the manufacturing technique than the manufacturer. Coated film will always have physical limitations - that's all there is to it. Any sales rep worth his or her salt should be able to discuss the construction methods and materials incorporated within the films in their catalog.

-Howard

dye in the polyester (bath dye) will turn purple but not lose VLT.

Hey Bill,

True, except for those which incorporate Gen 3 or 4 color stable pigments. These films are specifically warranted against turning purple. Also, I think you meant to say gain VLT, no?

-Howard

Any auto window film that has the dye in the laminating adhesive will have the potential to lighten up over time. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer, it's the film construction that does this. A number of manufactures utilize dye in the laminate constructions. Now, this type of construction will never turn purple, dye in the polyester (bath dye) will turn purple but not lose VLT.

A number of manufactures utilize dye in the laminate constructions. Now, this type of construction will never turn purple, dye in the polyester (bath dye) will turn purple but not lose VLT.

Quite the contrary on some of what is said above; dyes in any place other than the polyester will turn or lighten and are less stable, such as those found in laminating or mounting adhesive, on the surface of polyester or mixed in SRC. These are known as color-coated, which would splain films that turn clear in a matter of a year down South Florida way; more especially pre-color stable days.

Whereas bath or deep-dyed as it is known to LLumar and Suntek (I don't know Garware's coloring process) is more stable and would turn purple slower than color coated. The newer generations of dye used today have much more stability over their predecessors.

Pigments are known to be even more stable than dyes, though they have issues all their own when making a film from pigmented polyester last longer than the pigment.

Any auto window film that has the dye in the laminating adhesive will have the potential to lighten up over time. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer, it's the film construction that does this. A number of manufactures utilize dye in the laminate constructions. Now, this type of construction will never turn purple, dye in the polyester (bath dye) will turn purple but not lose VLT.

Quite the contrary on some of what is said above; dyes in any place other than the polyester will turn or lighten and are less stable, such as those found in laminating or mounting adhesive, on the surface of polyester or mixed in SRC. These are known as color-coated, which would splain films that turn clear in a matter of a year down South Florida way; more especially pre-color stable days.

Whereas bath or deep-dyed as it is known to LLumar and Suntek (I don't know Garware's coloring process) is more stable and would turn purple slower than color coated. The newer generations of dye used today have much more stability over their predecessors.

Pigments are known to be even more stable than dyes, though they have issues all their own when making a film from pigmented polyester last longer than the pigment.

I agree and should have looked closer at the statement... never say "never."

One film that has dye in the laminating adhesive is not dye, but actually "pigment" in a binder that allows for uniform dispersion. In accelerate testing, these types of films have proven to be more stable than color-coated films. For what pigments may gain in increased color stability though, they tend to have haze issues that need to be regulated in the mfg process. Some dyes are known to contain pigments and some pigments are known to fail.

Things have improved from long ago that is true but you still see some of the newer films turning purple film out there...

I want to say thank you to all of you that bring this information to this forum......you rock it!

I completely agree with Ryker.

Between Capt Bill, Smarty, Howard and Vquest. You represent a very large slice of the supply sector world wide, and with all that you have on the plate, you still have time to share opinion and knowledge on Tintdude. What a great concept is Tintdude, and how lucky we are to have the main industry players here to voice their knowledge.

Long live Tintdude!

This is the stuff.

Stripped it couple days ago.

18 years ago we were using Sungard, I think it was called Titanium or something like that?

Looked the best out of any film but.........

image_zps835292e9.jpeg

This is the stuff.

Stripped it couple days ago.

18 years ago we were using Sungard, I think it was called Titanium or something like that?

Looked the best out of any film but.........

image_zps835292e9.jpeg

You can probably resell that as a 70% film lol jk

I don't know Garware's coloring process

Hi Smart.....

Great post.

Garware also uses a deep-dyed bath. We have been selling the films for over a decade and I have been to the plant. Since the incorporation of the G3 & G4 dyes, EWF has not (nor have any other Global distributors to my knowledge) processed a claim for purple film on QD/QDP/CHP. Even after 6,000 hours in the QUV, the film looks just remarkable. Our"Control" film for the QUV testing has always been Llumar and their films hold up in the QUV as well. There are many great films on the market, but these 2 (in my opinion) represent the "Gold Standard" for dyed automotive films, which as you know remain the staple of the auto film industry.

-Howard

Great pic FBO....

This is the classic "failure mode" that we see in some coated products after QUV exposure.

-Howard

image_zps835292e9.jpeg

But as Captain Bill mentioned.... I do not think that this is unique to any "brand" or "manufacturer". What you are seeing in that picture is the failure mode of a coated product.

But keep in mind that if a car is "pampered" or left in a garage most of the time, you may never see anything like this. By contrast, if the owner works the day shift and leaves the car outside in the parking lot all day for weeks/months/years on end, the sun will take it's toll.

-Howard

Archived