Max Pro at 2 years

Guest eclipseTN

We have had a handfull of come backs in the last month with rear windows bubbled like crazy. Each car has had the film approx 2 years. Some rear windows had the bubbles, some had the looking into a swimming pool blurry effect. We use llumar atc. I know because I call and order my self. Only thing me and the rep could come up with was a roll that had adhesive issues. Only rear windows, sides were just fine. Also when I bag it for removal, the tint comes off with a small amohnt of adhesive covering the rear window,

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We use llumar atc.

Wow...  They are pretty much the gold standard.  I guess even they are human.

Can I ask what you used for a mounting solution?  Some definitely do contain solvents.  Does anyone think that could be a factor? 

Thanks,

Howard

tried to PM but not able so will just post this in here.....

Hey Howard,

I had bought some slip tack as I was finding the Film-on with slight color and odor.  I found that I had to use double the slip tack as I did film-on which was not a huge deal but then I began having a funky smell in my sprayers if I left the solution in them.  I found that adding a bit of rubbing alcohol made it better but I didn't love that either.  

I also found that I had a white slime growing in my bottles some while using the slip tack.  This was using tap water so I tried using some distilled water and found it to get funky too.

The smell is like a wet washcloth that has mildewed slightly..... or something similar...

I switched back to my old film-on last week and found that I can leave the bottles mixed up for days with NO smell.....tap water too.

Hi Ryk,

About 2-3 years ago, we had received a contaminated batch of Cedepal from Stephan Chemical.  There were comments on other threads about the same issues with Film-On and it is likely that it could all be traced back to this vendor.

Since that time, Alice (who mixes it up here at EWF) has been producing only small batches every week and testing each one for any contamination.  She has mold test kits and checks everything that leaves.

Just call or email me when you order next.  I will get you a brand new 2-Liter pump sprayer and some fresh Slip-Tack.  I am very confident that the measures we took solved the problem.  As to why the Film-On (that's a Llumar product for those of you who are not familiar) would also have an odor, I cannot say.  We actually sell that as well.  I believe that the Cedepal may be very conducive to mold growth.  It's a medical grade product which is so inert, ingesting it would not harm you.

-Howard

The thing is that the bottles of slip tack smell fine and look fine.  They are just a month or two old and came since you "cleaned" it all up... I don't understand it but for someone that doesn't clean out their sprayers every night it is frustrating. 

I just wanted to pose this to you....I cleaned out my sprayers with a long pry bar and a paper towel wrapped and taped to the end of it....

Hi Ryk,

I know it's a pain in the neck and I get a lot of negative blow back whenever I suggest it, but spray bottles need to be thoroughly rinsed out at the end of each workday and left overnight to dry.

All of the conditions for growing mold are ideal within a closed space like that.  Mold is inevitable if proper sprayer hygiene is not adhered to.

-Howard

Guest eclipseTN

Howard, the mounting solution we used at the time was film on.  it really seemed to be a defect or what ever with the adhesive on the roll that was used.  im just curious as to why only the rear window done it.  i dont think installer error is an issue, it happened to both of us.  maybe a bad bottle of film on? but i would expect the side windows to be bubbling as well

the back window and not the side windows has to do with the angle of exposure to the sun!  The back glass gets hammered most of the time and with the angle it gets MORE sun than the side windows ever.  Only way a side window would compare would be in a covered area with an open line to east or west and the back glass being shaded most of the day...

Archived