Max Pro at 2 years

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not siding one way or the other on a film I've personally never tracked over time with my own eyes however the comparison of if the side windows are ok or not is not conclusive as to ruling out any brand of film failure for some additional reasons :

1. If the car parks in the same spot every day in such a position for example in a carport where only the back window is exposed to the UV rays and the rest of the windows aren't day after day

2. The back window is the only window that's been "altered" with a heat gun to fit the curved surface and therefore thins out the material.

This is for ANY suspect premature film failure where the product is in question , not just the film being talked about .

Not siding one way or the other on a film I've personally never tracked over time with my own eyes however the comparison of if the side windows are ok or not is not conclusive as to ruling out any brand of film failure for some additional reasons :

1. If the car parks in the same spot every day in such a position for example in a carport where only the back window is exposed to the UV rays and the rest of the windows aren't day after day

2. The back window is the only window that's been "altered" with a heat gun to fit the curved surface and therefore thins out the material.

This is for ANY suspect premature film failure where the product is in question , not just the film being talked about .

Times 2 ......... Well said :beer

We don't make film that does this. You never know who puts what film in what box. We make our film at our plant in Whiteville, NC. Please come by for a visit and we'll give you a tour of the plant. Also contact us at sales@maxprofilms.com and we will send you a FREE sample so you can see for yourself why our films are superior and you won't have to take the word of postings on TintDude.

Welcome, thanks for chiming in on this thread.

There is only a handful of people affiliated with dist/Manu that post on this site.

That's just not true at all, perhaps that you know of or remember. :thumb

Every manufacturer will have an issue with their products. No manufacturer can produce an absolute perfect master roll every time. it happens. It is not a matter of if, it is when. I have an issue with every major brand throughout the years. Main thing is the manufacturer backing you.

Quite possible that particular roll just was not dialed in properly.

2 inevitable industry facts (amongst many others...):

1. There is no such thing as a perfect Master Roll (10,000 linear ft). An 80% yield is considered very good.
  2. There is no such thing as a perfect installation. Installers make mistakes because they are imperfect just like the people running the window film machines.

And thus we get warranty claims in one form or another. :twocents

It is likely to be an installer-issue.

Hi Tint Activists,

I definitely agree with you that residual moisture left behind during installation can be a factor in some failures. However, it is not likely to have played a role in the case. Here are my reasons for saying so:

This particular category of films (including MaxPro) are basically 1.5M, 2Ply dyed polyester constructions. If the subject film is also an HP film (I have no way of knowing), it introduces vapor deposited aluminum, which is not much of a factor either.

All such constructions within this category are what we refer to as High-MVTR films (Moisture Vapor Transmission Rate). As their name suggests, residual water meets little resistance and evaporates both quickly and thoroughly thru them. I have no reason to believe that Eastcoastflyod did not do a proper job, but even if he was having a bad day (we are all human), that high MVTR film likely released any residual moisture in a very short period of time (days perhaps).

It’s the Low-MVTR films where residual moisture will come back to bite you. Two examples of Low-MVTR films would be sputtered films and heavy gauge films (>2.0m). Residual moisture left under such films can result in patch haze, flash fogging and water pockets that can persist for months and prevent the film from ever bonding properly. For many years, EWF has been putting an informational box insert into every roll of Low MVTR film we sell.

The picture you see is a classic case of excess solvent retention. It serves as a reminder that while not rocket science, manufacturing window film is not an endeavor for the faint of heart or the shallow of pocket. There are 100+ things that can go wrong and Murphy is on the job 24/7.

-Howard

An 80% yield is considered very good.

Hi Rob,

So true.. And just what does happen to that other 20%?

I guess it depends on the manufacturer!

-Howard

Hi Rob,

So true.. And just what does happen to that other 20%?

I guess it depends on the manufacturer!

-Howard

2000 LF of B grade or lower can be dispersed throughout the master or confined to certain areas it all depends on so many factors as you are aware. If any of it is salvageable you can find it anywhere between the dumpster, recycle bin, or in a tint shop somewhere off shore in other parts of the world depending on the mfg. :gasp

Archived