Feeling a tad deflated...

jj

Yeah all good Mike. You're experienced enough that you know when your wholesale set up is not working, I was in a room of tinters recently where the young uns were complaining how stressed they were with dealer work, the old blokes were shaking their heads, they had seen it all before and new it didn't have to be that way .

Damn it's hot, looks like we are all going to be busy this summer

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who thinks that at the end if the day, dealer work for someone like me looking to "start" up is almost essential. Yes I get return customers from the work I do plus referrals but hey, I've been doin this for about well under 2 years..... I don't have a big enough "clientele" to make it in retail. We are forced to pick up the scraps. Us youngebs are starting out with m1 owning the %&$# and competing with so much competition not just the pros who even sticking together have to make a buck, but also this new era of people buying into this industry and undercutting everyone to make a dollar. I remind u a prev. Boss of mine charged $130 a car to try and close other shops before even trying to make money. Yes we do need dealer work cos I gotta eat. Unfortunately we aren't in a position to knock back any work

I cant talk about car dealers because I refuse to do cars for ridiculous prices.

My regular FG clientele would be much the same as a dealer though.

My biggest dropped me once because of price and I wouldn't back down. Now I'm talking about a 160K job and I could of.

They got some monkeys in to do it and guess what?

They realized and saw the value in reliability and workmanship.

Now, there is no haggling because they would rather pay for no "worries" no "hassle".

The CEO told me as he shook my hand at the end of the next project "you're the least of our worries, that's why you do all the work for us".

Another CEO from another company before they gave me a project said "we know that when we call, you'll be here and get it done right".

jj keep your head up mate. Keep doing quality work and don't ever become second rate!

The door may close but it may re open along with new ones!

Our job is a true artform, GTS said it perfectly once. "techniques that can not be replicated by someone new to the industry".

You need good people around you to pep you up a bit.

Sales and trade reps in our industry are good to talk to.

Get fired up again champ!

SUMMER IS COMMIN!!!

Just for the record the dealership group I was chasing is over 40ks from my regular local dealers. I'm well and truly over the frustration I felt when I found out about the m1 price that had took me out of the picture. My local dealers although I could never say 100% would never drop me over price, I can say that they don't mind paying a little extra for the kind of quality and service they recieve. I was informed not so long ago that the previous tinting company would have 2-3 come backs per week! Needless to say I have had none in almost two years since I took over.

While I agree with devil and GTS about not doing dealer work, I too am in the same boat as rocky d due to the size of the market and demographics out here away from the city metropolis the possibilities of a purely retail business is a non starter.

Just for the record the dealership group I was chasing is over 40ks from my regular local dealers.

Too much non productive travelling JJ.

Devil

Hey Dev, In Sydney, a trip around the corner is a 30 minute drive.. If only I could fit my tools and film in a back pack.. Or jam pack a bicycle like they do in Tailand :) Utes and 4WD drive tints only... I can't fit a 30" roll in my bike tray :lol

Archived