Testing Longevity

While doing various factory tours I have seen accelerated ageing machines! How they work I have no idea! :beer

Howard has one or more in his offices that he uses regularly from what I understand. Howard is at SEMA this week but might see this thread over the weekend and give us a lesson!

Cheers guys

Stan

Here is an interesting little tidbit, only got to skim through it so not sure how "conclusive" it is..... :dunno

http://cool.conservation-us.org/waac/wn/wn33/wn33-1/wn33-105.pdf

Interesting that they would look for maximum UV protection up 400nm; practically all window films begin allowing greater transmission around 380nm (e.g. UVShield is <0.1% to 380 and spikes to 21% UVT at 400nm and is recommended to be replaced every 3-5 years depending on geo-location). But then again most museums are looking for the best possible protection. 

Xenon aka accelerated weathering machines are designed to mimic day and night, daytime sun exposure (very serious light bulb), day and night temperature swings (seasons), and humidity equivalent to weather found in So FL. Samples can run for many hours; the more hours, the longer real time weathering. 3000 hours equates to approximately 2-2.5 years (others can correct this number if I have it wrong). Testing can show fade of color (even color stable materials), change of color, delam, demetalizing, corrosion, adhesive failure, SRC failure, anything that can possibly go south in a film.

Edit: Recommending UV film protection to be changed at specific year ranges ensures maximum protection for the purchaser; especially those who have medical conditions involving sensitivity to UV exposure (e.g. Lupus). If a sufferer is located in So FL, it might be best their UV film replacement occur around three years post installation date and those above the 48th parallel might consider replacement around five years post installation date.  

Very interesting... the simulation was of a "North" exposure and it only took as little as 2 years (3 years for a very well-known market 'innovator') to go sub-95% UV rejection.

Large changes in visible transmission too, 40% loss on a 'premium product.'

Makes you wonder how long it takes to go <95% on a Southwest exposure? :gasp

Very interesting... the simulation was of a "North" exposure and it only took as little as 2 years (3 years for a very well-known market 'innovator') to go sub-95% UV rejection.

Large changes in visible transmission too, 40% loss on a 'premium product.'

Makes you wonder how long it takes to go <95% on a Southwest exposure? :gasp

I'm convinced that a certain company spends more time "innovating" more ways to bend the rules and test materials in ways that are disingenuous at best.

Archived