who else loves removals?

Well yesterday afternoon i started removing tint with those famous wavey lines on the back screen of a R33 skyline coupe. 5-10 mins on the steamer and yep left all the adhesive behind. firstly tryed soapy water with 000 steel wool, no go would take me days, then tried johnsons adhesive disolver which worked but was a bitch still lastley tried kenco shift it, worked similar to the adhesive disolver but a little bit better. 2 hours so far of removal and it hit 6 pm so i said im coming back to finish this, still with 1/4 of the back glass to scrub adhesive off.

i quoted the customer 120 coins to remove and re-tint the back window, what do you guys do when it takes you hours and hours  just of removal? clearly this job i am losing money on (not ideal for business to lose money)

also i had to pull the parcel shelf out otherwise it would of been destrpoyed from the cleaners and also had  rasied section for speakers which made getting down the bottom a nightmare, almost half an hour in removal time of parcel shelf same to refit, im considering walking away from the job be almost total 5 hours labour for about $80

i also get to remove and retint a vx sedan back window this morning which looks to be equally as fun yet different film as its sjut completely bubbled and effed

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like removals but with a few tricks it is not that bad most of the time.  If you had old glue left behind try throwing up some tint on there and then use the bagging trick.  I have had a few windows that I thought would be impossible to get come out clean with this.  Just a few minutes of a quick shrink, cut it out and slap it in.  No worries about a "perfect" install as you will be pulling it out.  10 to 15 minutes and you can give that glue and old film layers something be hold on to.

I have also just grabbed a razor and scraped that sort of bugger off....tell the customer that it might have to be done. 

I F**kin HATE removals , I get so disappointed when I see a car pull up with purple film , I'm pretty good at getting them clean but man hours of smelling old glue and ammonia ????????

:bingo not a fan myself. Put in my time with doing that stuff. I'll still do it in the off season as more of a project or as a favor to the peeps you feel you HAVE to take care

2 tricks that work wonders when the glue is left behind. Use the steamer followed by the scrubber. It will ball up like gum and stick to the scrubber. The steamer keeps the glue hot and soft making for easy cleanup with a scrubber. Next would be chemical...Simple Green Concentrate! I cannot stress how well this stuff works and smells quite pleseant to boot. Just spray it on, let it soak and it will scrub right off.

Steamer is def the way to go about it. Sometimes if I see the glue is not coming off with the tint I slow down, keep the heat on it and start pulling again and the glue starts coming together with the tint

Mates, your whole problem is your pricing. Always assume the worst case scenario , for me usually up to 3 hours, of labour time to r&r a rear screen and price accordingly. If that is too expensive for the customer , well so be it and let them go elsewhere while you book in a paying job.

For my thinking, if I'm not getting at least about 2/3 of the price for a r&r rear screen that I would charge to tint the car in the first place, then I'm not interested.

You also have to factor in the scenario where you have cleaned the hell out of the rear screen , retint it only to find you missed a bit of old almost clear tint or glue somewhere, which means you have to rip it all off and redo it.

It took me years to realise in this business it is easy to stay busy with non profitable work, the real trick is to say no to that sort of work or at least price it at a profitable level.

Every time I did this and freed up some time, a better job would pop up or I would get some time to get the boat out and head out to the reef.

I REALY love it when they dont tell u about it and rock up with purple windows... "Mate u got tints on this already" ohhh do I... Fair dinkum mayt since when do cars come with PURPLE windows

Yep, 9/10 they are playing you for a fool hoping you will remove it for free.

Archived