Llumar vs 3M

Guest firedoghfd

Guest firedoghfd

Last May I had Llumar CTX installed on one of my cars.  It looks great and keeps the heat out however the it is a little reflective inside and my dash/vents reflect in the windows.  This is a negative on a otherwise great film.

I just bought a new car and looking at getting the windows tinted.  The dealership uses 3M and will charge the same as the place that did my Llumar tint.   The dealership believed the use 3M Sun Control however I'm sure she was confused on which 3M line.  Best I can tell Sun Control is for houses and not auto.

So a few questions:

• My other car was tinted May 2013,  Would that have been with the older or new CTX film?   If it was the old what changed with the new?
    • Still reflective?
    • Still have a slight blue hue?
    • New TSER numbers?
  • What are your thoughts on the 3M lines.  It would be the Color Stable,Ceramic Series, or Crystalline

I looking for

• best heat reduction,
  • dark enough in the rear so you can't see in.  My other car is a hatch back also and the CTX 15% does this.
  • Little to no inside reflective.
  • no signal interference
  • not looking like a mirror on the outside.  the CTX and Color stable look good from outside.
  • I'm allowed 25% on the front and anything on the back/rear

Guest thatsnappyguy

The darker the film on the front windows, the worse it will be, providing you have nothing on the front windshield, which allows the cab to fill with light and create that reflecting effect on the interior surface.  You may want to consider applying a film to the entire front windshield with a very high vlt, 70% plus. This will eliminate some of that issue and also ensure more solar reduction. 

Go with the current version, CTXi.  It would be the newer CTXi versus the film you had, CTX, which was "bluer" version.  Interior reflectivity should be less than what you've experienced.

You'll be pleased with the preferred appearance, and you'll know what to expect from the install as you were content with previous install.  Not saying they don't do as good a job at the dealership, but at this point it is an unknown.  You can probably look at other "preloads" on the lot for install quality.  Many auto dealerships tint in house with on average at best installations.   

Guest Tintedtinter

Don't use llumar tint. They are having major manufacturing issues - tint layers separating and coming scratched off the roll.

I was a dealer until I switched to 3M a few months ago. Never going back.

Plus, now I don't have to deal with jack anymore...worth switching based on that alone.

Don't use llumar tint. They are having major manufacturing issues - tint layers separating and coming scratched off

Interesting. I still believe in the longevity of the product , but I'm also questioning some of the recent manufacturing of the product being an exclusive many year installer

Don't use llumar tint. They are having major manufacturing issues - tint layers separating and coming scratched off the roll.

I was a dealer until I switched to 3M a few months ago. Never going back.

Plus, now I don't have to deal with jack anymore...worth switching based on that alone.

I think no matter what brand you use, at some point there will be a short period of bad runs. I've seen it with every brand I've ever used. (Johnson, Llumar, Suntek.) But in the 18 years I've been doing this, Llumar has been the longest lasting and best film in general. I'm sure 3M is also a great film, but surely they've had short term flaws as well.

Edited by NvrLate

I show my age when I say that when I hear 3M and issues , an image of the Pink Panther comes to mind :lol

I show my age when I say that when I hear Llumar and issues, an image of the same comes to mind but more blurry and lets not forget the bronze film.......... :spit

Edited by MikeMN