Taping felt

I tape felt religiously. However today on a BMW 745 I could not for the life of me get it to stick. I have both green and yellow 3M tape. Usually if I get one that won't stick because of armoral or just plain dirty I clean them with spray away and a rag then dry them out with my heat gun. Still wouldn't stick. I tinted it without any tape and it came out really clean. Better than expected. But I had a few touch ups.

Is there anything you guys do to get tape to stick when it doesn't want to? Maybe next time I will try alcohol or something with some bite to clean the felt.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just make sure I clean it very carefully if the tape won't stick.  A swipe behind the edge with a conquistador with a black smoothie cut to a point follow up.  Make sure not to touch the fuzzy edge with the smoothie....and I NEVER flush with water on the edges....

Right. I have a black and white I cut to a point. After cleaning the window and squeegeeing it. I roll it down wipe the top edge and  then the sides from top to bottom with my towel. Then on the sides only I swipe down with my cut black and white. It really did come out clean. But I feel safer taping and will continue to try and tape everything.

BTW Ryker, I have been messing with your way of shrinking. Very neat indeed.

Archived