Shrinking back glass with liner facing in?

I did a little searching and couldn't find if anyone has ever seen this, done it or tried it.

I was teaching a friend that wanted to learn how to do a back window so I gave him some basics and let him go. I came back a few minutes later and started watching him. He was doing a good job dry shrinking and then I noticed something. He was shrinking with the liner against the glass. At first I stopped him and told him he was doing it wrong but noticed he had it layed down nice and smooth and hadn't burned it! So I told him to see if he could keep going on it to get it to lay flat. To my surprise he laid it out all smooth with no problems. I was impressed to say the least. This was only is 5th or 6th time doing it!

So my question is this. Has anyone ever shrunk a back glass with the liner in? And if so, did you install it to see how it looked?

Just curious to hear from my fellow tinters on this one. Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's possible to do this on glass that has symmetry to the curvature; my concern would be damage to the SR coating. The liner actually shrinks better than the film and many times is the driver or puller of the film itself so stands to reason if the film is flipped, chances are better to lay evenly without issue. Just don't try it on a mid-90's Kia Sephia 4dr BG. :lol

It's possible to do this on glass that has symmetry to the curvature; my concern would be damage to the SR coating. The liner actually shrinks better than the film and many times is the driver or puller of the film itself so stands to reason if the film is flipped, chances are better to lay evenly without issue. Just don't try it on a mid-90's Kia Sephia 4dr back glass. :lol

Haha! It was on a Chevy Malibu. I don't think I'd let him try it again on any other vehicle. Lol.

symmetry of the glass curve and the scratching issues would be my concern.  I know the liner gets all scratched up....

I have laid a windshield strip inside out before and had to scrap it from the scratches of the hard card "tacking" it down to the outside...

Archived