6 years of Onyx 35 update.

The halo effect is with every car that has a grid heater demister on the rear....not a problem with the film.

What you are seeing (and should be explained to the customer at time of collection) is the light being refracted off the demister line as the wire bends the angle once the film is installed over it with the light entering the car from behind at night.

You can use the same principle with a car like a Rolls or early Benz which had the minute wire impregnated in the lamination which didn't cause the effect as the film got installed over a perfectly smooth surface.

Dev

THIS ISSUE IS NOT THE DEFROSTER LINES, ITS THE FILM. I REPLACED REAR WITH THIER SUN GARD BLACK PEARL HP FILM AND THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED! THE FILM HAS LIKE AN ORANGE PEEL LOOK WHEN TILTED. THE MORE SLOPED, THE WORSE IT GETS. MY SUBARU OUTBACK IS PERFECT (ONYX 20), TOYOTA PRIUS IS HORRIBLE.

Guest Mo Evo

I just today replaced the Onyx 35% on the front windows of my 2002 Chevy Silverado crew cab dually. Even tho the truck lives under a 3 sided carport, 13 years have not been kind to the film. It faded to the point that it only looked slightly reflective. Of course under the seal near the edges looked great. I replaced it with 35% Carbon.

I just today replaced the Onyx 35% on the front windows of my 2002 Chevy Silverado crew cab dually. Even tho the truck lives under a 3 sided carport, 13 years have not been kind to the film. It faded to the point that it only looked slightly reflective. Of course under the seal near the edges looked great. I replaced it with 35% Carbon.

Hey Monique,

I would have been very happy with 13 years. Do you really think that Carbon (A 1ply non color stable dye film that contains the color in the scratch coat) will last 13 years?

Let me do a Marty McFly and go to the future...

--___---__-_-_--_-_-___--_-----_

I'm back, and I can tell you in advance that the answer is NO!

If you still have color left after 13 years then that would mean you are looking at the remaining metal content of the film, and the adhesive has held up.

A good effort from that film... IMO.

Guest Mo Evo

I'm not at all disappointed in the performance of the Onyx on my truck, but, my mistake here, I replaced it with Classic Black 35%, not Carbon 35. I'm using both right now. My truck, with the Alison tranny and turbo diesel is in perfect condition and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, so it will be a good test of this newer film.

Archived