Good laugh to end the day.

Do you close AND leave the shop at or as close to 5 as possible, or do you just stop taking new appointments at 5?

We take anything that rolls through the doors up to closing hour that can be accomplished in 2 hours or less (or if we are feeling like machines that day, stay open much longer), but everyone here understands this and doesn't get upset when they see a 5 o'clock showing on the schedule. Came here to get paid, gonna do just that.

I'd just bring it up with him so you both know what is expected of you at work, pretty simple.

Did you have something going on that evening that you couldn't perform the work, or did you make this move on principle? Either way, I guess no one got paid, so was it the customer who really lost that day? I guess if he comes back to your shop and pays for removal and tint you could say you got lucky.

I personally stop taking cars at 4:00 4:30 the latest on a Friday. Myself along with the other tinter lives 45mins from the shop, in and around this DC metro area add traffic and it's a long one. We have stayed longer in the past, as long as 8:30 in most cases, and never once was compensated for it, so now we leave at 5:00 5:30 the latest. It's complicated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminded me off last summer when we got the job to tint a house boat, customer gives measurements and number of Windows over the phone, boss gives price based on square footage. Customer pays for job over the phone with AMEX in full. I go out to supply and install only to find every single window has 20 yr old film with the dirtiest nastiest trim on inside. Call boss on phone tells him about the situation, he calls customer to charge extra and they refuse to pay, then threatens to dispute cc charge. Long story short, boss gives them free removal, takes me about 5 days to complete the job. They still were not happy and disputed the charge anyways.

Surely the phone contract was not based on the real situation as it was found.

I would have refunded all the money and walked away from the job.

No fight, no hassle..... then I'd be out doing a lovely clean aluminium FG job.

Devil

I would have expected my workers to do the job at the price I quoted and let me worry about the extra money to cover glue and paying employees. You could have knocked out the job / impressed the owner of the shop and made money. Never assume the price is wrong until you know the whole story on this customer. Now you just lost a customer and prolly more that the story is told to.

I treat my tinters good and they treat me good :twocents I wouldn't have been very happy happy happy as a owner

Cheers

Stan

^^^Stan has hit the nail on the head.

You are the employee, it is not your place to question your employer on his decisions. There may have been many reasons he booked the job in for the price he did.

Your boss was pissed at the way you treated his customer, if it was me you would have some explaining to do and would probably be looking for a new job about now.

Having said that, I wouldn't be treating my employees like that either. If I'm booking work in that late in the day, i will check that my tinters can stay back and I'd be paying overtime rates or I would be doing it myself.

Maybe it's time you ran your own shop TM.

^^^Stan has hit the nail on the head.

You are the employee, it is not your place to question your employer on his decisions. There may have been many reasons he booked the job in for the price he did.

Your boss was pissed at the way you treated his customer, if it was me you would have some explaining to do and would probably be looking for a new job about now.

Having said that, I wouldn't be treating my employees like that either. If I'm booking work in that late in the day, i will check that my tinters can stay back and I'd be paying overtime rates or I would be doing it myself.

Maybe it's time you ran your own shop TM.

^this

Listen, my boss never even layed an eye on this car. The customer called and made the appointment over the phone. As far as me turning down a customer, I can do that being that I am the shop manager. Now as a tinter, tinting an Audi A8 that has glue on it is not a job you take 15 mins before closing at $160. The owner wanted us to "remove as much as possible" and tint the vehicle. I've never had a problem with working or staying late, but we are not compensated for overtime, and probably never will be.

I feel your boss should be on the same page as you guys! He (being in the tint industry) should be the first to know that THAT was a perfect storm!!!! You did the right thing TM!

why did a 2013 A8 have the film removed anyways,HMMM?

Maryland is an inspection state, it wouldn't pass. The customer ended up coming back this past Sunday after calling around some. He paid the extra for the glue removal, and Jiffy Lube charged him $130 to remove the film previously.

Archived