Flatglass Measurements - inches or mm?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most films are shipped in imperial except for Aussie's own UltraGard which is in metric.

But in answer to your question Ultra, if I am dealing with builders, architects, glaziers etc, then I will work in metric.

Apart from that, just because I am old school , I will work in imperial. I just find it is quicker in figuring out my cutting diagram.

I understand I am getting to be in the minority in this though. I still think it is usefull though to be able to quickly convert from one to the other.

I'm fluent in both and can switch between them at will, but my employees struggle with it.

Guess that makes me a young hi-tech metric guy with old school know-how... [emoji13]

UltraGard have gone completely metric? So they're producing 30m (98.5ft) rolls?

Nope. Roll sizes are still 2,3,4,5,6 foot widths X 100 feet. But all sizes are referred to in mm as per glass tinting supplies web site.

Man.... 144? How many fingers u got mate!?!?

No man, it's all about the bananas in QLD

12 bananas to the bunch; 12 bunches per tree = 144. Give em a bend to get sq footage.:lol

If you wanna work in the Sunshine State westy, you gotta know your bananas.

Hey lads.

When I first started to develop the pre cut system for gts, the code writer was having nightmares trying to develop the main structure of the site using imperial. It was when he said ''If this will be a system used solely in Australia, why not just write the code in metric? ''

That was the second that I realized that it was time for us to move out of the dinosaur age and start coming into line with the rest of the industries here. 

It is just plain to everyone that measuring in metric is easier and far more accurate. And I see it as a positive change that in time most will hopefully embrace. The thought was that if we were going to be selling a film made for Australia, we would need to have it in a system that is used by Australian's. 

I use both forms of measurement but much prefer metric. 

Archived