How to get out of the Ceramic trap...

Ok, thats all fine and well, but I would want to see how it compares to a metal film.  I want to explore price to purchase, SHGC, TSER, and mounting adhesive.  There are many in my area that swear by ceramics, and that is fine.  My customers are informed of the difference, and 99 out of 100, choose the metal.

Understood. However when the install price and performance is similar.. 99 of 100 choose mobile and WIFI friendly.

You will see for yourself soon enough :thumb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not convinced of WIFI friendly.  I think thats a fallacy.  WIFI is broadcast on the inside of a home, which I believe won't interfere with when you are inside the home.  An argument can be made if you are outside the home.  I also don't buy into the same type of problem with a metal film on a car.  If that were true, we would have to believe that the only way a signal could come in and out of a vehicle would be through the windows while the body of the vehicle is mostly metal.

Ceramic film was introduced here in 1998 by Huper Optik.  It has fallen off significantly in the past 2-3 years.  I recall the general public being informed about it to the tune of asking for it.  Today, no one does...in my area.

I can respect that things may be different in your area.  Im not trying to have a pissing contest with this.  All of my posts are based on my personal experience as a business owner.  People call, they are hot, want to reduce ac bills, want it to look good, glare reduction, and not make their home/business look drastically different.  I can do that with a metal film, for less psf, and be far more efficient in the way the film rejects heat than a ceramic. 

Im not convinced of WIFI friendly.  I think thats a fallacy.  WIFI is broadcast on the inside of a home, which I believe won't interfere with when you are inside the home.  An argument can be made if you are outside the home.  I also don't buy into the same type of problem with a metal film on a car.  If that were true, we would have to believe that the only way a signal could come in and out of a vehicle would be through the windows while the body of the vehicle is mostly metal.

Ceramic film was introduced here in 1998 by Huper Optik.  It has fallen off significantly in the past 2-3 years.  I recall the general public being informed about it to the tune of asking for it.  Today, no one does...in my area.

I can respect that things may be different in your area.  Im not trying to have a p1ss1ng contest with this.  All of my posts are based on my personal experience as a business owner.  People call, they are hot, want to reduce ac bills, want it to look good, glare reduction, and not make their home/business look drastically different.  I can do that with a metal film, for less psf, and be far more efficient in the way the film rejects heat than a ceramic. 

Hey TJ,

WIFI signal passes from room to room, from the house to the garage, etc.. A metal based film can bounce the signal and reduce it's capacity to spread out from room to room and from it's main source to other areas of the property. When you are talking to a large commercial client next.. Just ask them this.. "How important is it to your company that you have optimum mobile and WIFI reception?" When the answer is very important.. Then ask if they are prepared to pay an additional cost for a film that out performs a metal based film and offers better clarity and does not affect reception in their building.

You will fully understand when they are willing to pay more... I smell an upsell for flat glass... :D

p.s. I am very sorry for the thread hijack.. It is ANZAC day here and I am on the computer doing my tax :sad

Hey JJJ,

You are a perfect consumer.. You know what you want, and you just don't want to be miss lead.

On your own home, would you see a benefit in having a ceramic film that has high performance that can offer low reflectivity, no interruption to your mobile and WiFi signal and is non corrosive to areas near lakes and oceans?

Your answer is as important as any.

Thanks Dude!

Guest triplejjj

I totally understand your view point JJJ.

It should be 100% clearly stated when people use these techniques to demonstrate the solar performance of a product that the heat reduction that is achieved it purely that of the glass and not of the vehicle as a whole.

On a side note, (IMO) I see the whole glass over a sealed box and a heat lamp as a sales trick, and as we have just learned from your experience that when it is not correctly explained it can miss lead customers. With that said, it can clearly demonstrate the advantages of using a ceramic film as apposed to a dye based product. Your $100 extra was money well spent sir. :trustme

I totally agree, and thank you, I feel better now knowing I didn't waste my money. Honestly though I would pitch it a different way if I was demonstrating the whole light box thing. 

Me to Customer; It will not make your car cooler if it sits out all day but see these these photos of what the sun can do you. You may not see what it really does for you but we hope you don't see what the others don't do for you.

Then show them some pics of what damage can be done from the sun, pre mature aging, skin cancer. Just a thought that crossed my mind, it won't be pretty but it will be effective. I bet they walk out there feeling like this is a necessity and not an option and they'll be thanking you for it for years to come. As a side note you don't have to publicly display the sample pics

but bring it to the closing so to speak.

all the best

triplejjj

I totally understand your view point JJJ.

It should be 100% clearly stated when people use these techniques to demonstrate the solar performance of a product that the heat reduction that is achieved it purely that of the glass and not of the vehicle as a whole.

On a side note, (IMO) I see the whole glass over a sealed box and a heat lamp as a sales trick, and as we have just learned from your experience that when it is not correctly explained it can miss lead customers. With that said, it can clearly demonstrate the advantages of using a ceramic film as apposed to a dye based product. Your $100 extra was money well spent sir. :trustme

Then show them some pics of what damage can be done from the sun, pre mature aging, skin cancer.

:lol  So just like a cigarette packet? Scare people into getting window tint on their cars?

The hard part believe it or not is that people that are closest involved with the glass tinting industry are so well aware of the benefits of what the film can do they often forget that that they need to correctly educate the consumer of the true benefits it can offer.

Maybe we need our respective organizations that represent our industry to put out a fresh new campaign to scare :D /create awareness of the benefit that these outstanding new technologies offer? JJJ, would you agree that you may not have needed to remove a cancer from your skin had you had full solar protection in your vehicle for those many long trips across the country in your vehicle? Yes? No? Or when you were working in your vehicle? $300 bucks? Big deal. It could be a 1 off investment to protect you and your vehicle for life... Understand?

The future is window film... Why? Well.. When you have the largest glass manny buy a window film company, it is clear to see why.

Guest triplejjj

Hey JJJ,

You are a perfect consumer.. You know what you want, and you just don't want to be miss lead.

On your own home, would you see a benefit in having a ceramic film that has high performance that can offer low reflectivity, no interruption to your mobile and WiFi signal and is non corrosive to areas near lakes and oceans?

Your answer is as important as any.

Thanks Dude!

Well some say I am a pia customer, at least my wife thinks so.  :lol  But your right, I know what I want just don't b.s me. If i may comment on the importance of being wi fi, cell phone friendly. My car alarm became much more sensitive after the film install. I kind of figure it would be less since it was a lot darker not the case though. Not that light should have anything to do with it but another misnomer on my part. Anyway, I like my wifi to go as far as it can go, here's why. My cell phone alerts me as soon as I am about a block away of any reminders I have to take care of via wifi . My home alarm system uses a cell signal and not a land line to communicate with their servers. My car alarm sends me notifications thru my wifi or thru my cell on it's status to name a few. If I were tinting my home windows I would be shopping for wi fi and cell friendly to be sure. 

JJJ. You are an gentleman and a scholar..

Well folks.. If you shut your ears to what our friend JJJ just said here, then you are living in the dark ages just like our manufacturers want you to.

Why does it take a film designer that knows the Aussie market to show the big boys how to do it?

:facepalm2

Ok, thats all fine and well, but I would want to see how it compares to a metal film. I want to explore price to purchase, SHGC, TSER, and mounting adhesive. There are many in my area that swear by ceramics, and that is fine. My customers are informed of the difference, and 99 out of 100, choose the metal.

Try adding "possible interference with good mobile reception and wifi signal range" into the equation when discussing it with your clients. You'll find its more of a hot topic than you think.

[emoji3]

I can respect that things may be different in your area.  Im not trying to have a p1ss1ng contest with this.  All of my posts are based on my personal experience as a business owner.  People call, they are hot, want to reduce ac bills, want it to look good, glare reduction, and not make their home/business look drastically different.  I can do that with a metal film, for less psf, and be far more efficient in the way the film rejects heat than a ceramic. 

Hey TJ,

WIFI signal passes from room to room, from the house to the garage, etc.. A metal based film can bounce the signal and reduce it's capacity to spread out from room to room and from it's main source to other areas of the property. When you are talking to a large commercial client next.. Just ask them this.. "How important is it to your company that you have optimum mobile and WIFI reception?" When the answer is very important.. Then ask if they are prepared to pay an additional cost for a film that out performs a metal based film and offers better clarity and does not affect reception in their building.

You will fully understand when they are willing to pay more... I smell an upsell for flat glass... :D

p.s. I am very sorry for the thread hijack.. It is ANZAC day here and I am on the computer doing my tax :sad

I am sorry as well for hijacking.

Is there a report that you direct me to in regards to metal films distorting WIFI signals?  If this is true, then I will accept it, and in the future during a sales meeting, like to hand over a study in regards to film and wifi signal.

Archived