How to get out of the Ceramic trap...

I just had a conversation with one of my dealers customers.  The customer went to my Youtube channel and made a post about the recent Panaflex (ceramic automotive window film) install.  There seems to be confusion among customers on exactly how window film works.  If you are ever confronted with what you are about to read here, I am going to show you one way you can explain yourself.  I will copy and paste the entire conversation... 

customer post,

I had the Panaflex installed today, 70 over factory 20 in the rears and 20 over the 
driver and passengers. My inside temp was 105 before and 105 after. I feel no difference in temp. 90 degrees here in Fl.  Any Ideas would be appreciated

My response,

Please do not consider removing the Panaflex!  With all due respect, removing Panaflex because there is no change in temp in a parked car is like taking back a great sun screen because you were hot on the beach.  

Window film is designed to block out solar energy.  Most people get confused between Heat and Solar energy.  They are not the same.  Just like smoke and fire are not the same. Window film makes you feel better because it blocks out Visible light, Ultraviolet Rays, and Infrared Radiation AKA Solar energy.  When we install Panaflex on your car glass it absorbs solar energy and keeps it off your body and your car interior but it comes at a price.  As the film absorbs solar energy, it heats up the glass.  This is ok because as the glass heats up and the heat begins to radiate,  we see the process of thermal equilibrium take over.  You see, heat will equalize with the cooler air blowing across the glass like a beer will equalize with ice in a cooler and become very cold. This process allows the heat to radiate outside the car and not toward the inside the car unless the car is parked.

One of the main reasons you will feel better with Panaflex is a biological reason.  You see... Infrared Radiation has the longest wavelength in the Solar spectrum.  It is a fact that IR will penetrate the human body the deepest.  When it penetrates into your skin, it irritates nerve endings just under the skin which send signals to the brain.  Most people since this irritation as heat.  In fact, this irritation is not heat, it is a perception.  The heatbox demonstrates this very well.
Instead of using a thermometer to evaluate Panaflex, try facing the sun while you are in your car.  Roll down the car glass and let the sun hit you in the face and then roll the glass back up.  You should feel a huge difference!  I do not mean to sound sarcastic, but if you want your car to feel cool while parked in a hot parking lot, one would need to glue space shuttles tiles to the entire car and wrap it with aluminum foil to get the best results.  
I hope I have made more sense out of this for you.  Thanks for sharing your experience

Customer response,

Thanks Ralph for taking the time to reply and the sunscreen analogy is something I can equate to. I drew my own conclusion on what PANAflex should do, meaning when I got in the vehicle it would be cooler. Before I read your reply today I headed out on an errand and what I noticed was, getting into the vehicle it felt the same as any other day but felt perceptually different in that while it was warm it was at the same time more 

comfortable since the film was blocking most of the light, UV and IR. The vehicle was comfortably cool in about a block versus normally I would have to travel miles at least 6 to get the same effect. Ac on low setting versus full on. 
The light coming into the vehicle was comfortable with no glare, also the windows are cool to the touch even before starting it. The roof and the windshield are the enemies now, even with a good vent shade the heat it penetrates right through it. I'm considering doing the windshield if the FL law
allows it. As far as removing the Panaflex the thought never crossed my mind
since there is so many variables to consider as well as the demonstration that was presented made me a believer in your product. If one can comprehend that a good sunblock won't make them feel cooler but will help keep them from getting sunburned and making them feel hot then all is good. Thanks for your help and a great product

My response,

Thanks for the feedback. This is not the first time this has ever happened. We use the heatbox to demonstrate the product because it is the most simplified way we know how to do it for most customers. Quite honestly, if we try to explain it the scientific route, customers run. Lol

Here is the actual link to the conversation...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5efPgJlPE

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Rob the Huper guy was able to document a temperature drop under controlled conditions using two identical vehicles.

I just tell people your parked car will go from feeling like a blast furnace, to feeling like an ordinary oven, when parked. LOL

A pretty simple annology to use is this. .. Imagine if you take a empty cup and put it under a water faucet with the water full on. The cup will fill up very quick. Now take the same cup and same faucet, but cut the water flow by 80%, The cup will still fill up, but much slower. Now equate the water to heat. It is the same thing.

A pretty simple annology to use is this. .. Imagine if you take a empty cup and put it under a water faucet with the water full on. The cup will fill up very quick. Now take the same cup and same faucet, but cut the water flow by 80%, The cup will still fill up, but much slower. Now equate the water to heat. It is the same thing.

Most excellent in its simplicity there!

Sisq spoke of Rob doing a test whereby it (Huper) faired well; stands to reason as my understanding is that TiN reflects IR as well as absorbs rather than other types of nano-ceramic exclusively absorbing. 

Call me old fashion but I'll take a dye-metal hybrid any day.

Archived