How to get out of the Ceramic trap...

• Jeff Schwandt Says:

April 15th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I discovered that the “chicken wire” lathe used under Coquina exteriors and 3M window film also had the same affect on my ClearWire reception. The only spot I could get reception was in the Bonus room closet, which was under the roof, not behind an exterior wall.

I read that, and the houses built here in the States are not built that way.  That article doesn't apply here.

At Saint-Gobain North America, , which produces Solar Gard window film, Ari Sacal says, “Non-metalized and films made with nano-technology are 'radio-friendly' and tested to ensure they do not interfere with the electronics and wireless signals required by tire pressure monitoring systems, GPS, satellite radios, cell phones and Bluetooth. It is possible that certain metalized films may cause interference with wireless devices.”

"It is possible..." but nothing in that quote is concrete.
And at 3M, St. Paul. Minn., John Price says, “A non-metal window film is an ideal choice for a tint that will not interfere with wireless signals. Films to avoid would be any film containing metals.”
Again, where is the study to suggest a film containing metal creates an issue with signal?

Ceramic Window Film“The Good Stuff”. Llumar’s CTX – Signal Enabling Film. As technology has improved, Llumar has been able to produce a window film that has BETTER UV and Infrared radiation protection that metallic films and because they don’t contain metal particles, CTX won’t hurt your cell phone signal strength.

The Good: Awesome product – 5% better UV and infrared radiation protection than ATR. Has NO affect on wireless signal. 

The Ugly: Higher Price-point…. and thats it.

Im not entirely sure, but I believe CTX is an automotive film and not a flat glass film.  I want to know about flat glass films.

This will amaze you! Signal defence window film. This film was developed by CP Films and it blocks 100% of all mobile, wifi, GPS, etc..

"Lisa Winckler, global director of research and technology at CPFilms, argues that the film has applications beyond simply blocking Wi-Fi signals, which are transmitted in the same unregulated 2.4-gigahertz band that is used by many cordless handsets. By shielding against signals across a wide swath of the electromagnetic spectrum, including the near-infrared, Signal Defense film can also thwart eavesdropping technology that depends on transmissions in the near-infrared, or terahertz range."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/window-film-protects-from-hackers/

This is a film designed to prevent signals from penetrating and has nothing to do with the typical metal films installed on residential and commercial applications.

I can go on, and on, and on...

GTS, I appreciate the links and quotes, but at best, these are simply possible problems.  Id like to see an actual study.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey TJ.

I really hate to say this... But if the film manufacturers were to release findings showing that metal based films have a negative impact on wireless devices be it in the home or office it would have a negative effect on the industry as a whole and it would cause a drop in sales for their main bread and butter metalized films.

Take care. 

Or, try to boost revenue by pushing ceramic films, in which some customers may not be able to afford so the tried and true metal films will still be sold...

Not to mention that ceramics absorb far more heat than a metalized film of the same VLT. This eliminates ceramics from many IG instillations. For a customer that needs significant glare reduction, and has IG.. Ceramics are not the best option

Or another scenario would be the same thing that happened when aerials were introduced into vehicle glass. The option of a cheap NR film would be used. 

I think i may have strayed from my initial point. And that is this...

There are many ways to produce a ceramic film, and you are soon to see a number of high performance films that are as cost effective as metal films hit the market. Another good option. That is my point.

The last thing I want is to create a negative campaign to degrade the industry that I live and breathe. 

All the best. 

I am not trying to create a negative campaign even though it appears so.  I live and breathe window film too.  It has allowed my wife and I to enjoy a comfortable life as well as the time to spend time with our kids.

I have come across ceramic films that have been reboxed at a far less price point than what it would cost from a well known mfg.  This puts your argument post #52 to rest bc the mfg.'s typically don't give two sh!ts about about what the dealer is selling.  For that matter, the mfg is on the hook for pennies during a warranty claim, while the dealer (regardless of if it was the original installing dealer) is on the hook for their labor since the mfg is only willing to spend "x" amount of money towards labor...so its up to the dealer to try and get more out of the customer.  This is, to me, unethical...but Im getting off on another tangent.

I don't know what ceramics cost in AUS.  Leaving a phrase of "you will soon see" seems too late to me.  We have seen ceramics for quite some time, and in the beginning, it was all the rage.  In my area, there are some companies that push it and present it as their first choice.  The sole reason is revenue.  They are able to boost the installing price 2-3 times what a typical metal film costs without spending 2-3 times on the cost of the ceramic film.  

Since ceramics have been in the market long enough, there have been alternatives to combat ceramics with similar specs and dynamite clarity for far less to both the dealer and the consumer.  The mfg.'s won't dare to loose money on a sale from the dealer, so they have made sure they have other alternatives in order to keep their sales where they need them regardless of whether its a ceramic or metal film.  

Metal films are still king, and even at that, they are being tweaked to perform like a ceramic film would...and still be far more efficient in how they reject heat.  My opinion is that ceramic films are dying off in the U.S.

Point well taken Sir. You certainly hold ethics at the top of the tree.. :thumb It is the base point of everything I do.

Ceramics were dead in the water here in Aus also. With 1 of the world's premier manny's putting focus on Low and High absorbance cost effective ceramic options that are extremely neutral in color.

I could be very wrong, but based on what is happening right here right now in Aus... you may just be about to see a revolution..

Have a great weekend TJ..

Guest triplejjj

I totally understand your view point JJJ.

It should be 100% clearly stated when people use these techniques to demonstrate the solar performance of a product that the heat reduction that is achieved it purely that of the glass and not of the vehicle as a whole.

On a side note, (IMO) I see the whole glass over a sealed box and a heat lamp as a sales trick, and as we have just learned from your experience that when it is not correctly explained it can miss lead customers. With that said, it can clearly demonstrate the advantages of using a ceramic film as apposed to a dye based product. Your $100 extra was money well spent sir. :trustme

Then show them some pics of what damage can be done from the sun, pre mature aging, skin cancer.

:lol  So just like a cigarette packet? Scare people into getting window tint on their cars?

The hard part believe it or not is that people that are closest involved with the glass tinting industry are so well aware of the benefits of what the film can do they often forget that that they need to correctly educate the consumer of the true benefits it can offer.

Maybe we need our respective organizations that represent our industry to put out a fresh new campaign to scare :D /create awareness of the benefit that these outstanding new technologies offer? JJJ, would you agree that you may not have needed to remove a cancer from your skin had you had full solar protection in your vehicle for those many long trips across the country in your vehicle? Yes? No? Or when you were working in your vehicle? $300 bucks? Big deal. It could be a 1 off investment to protect you and your vehicle for life... Understand?

The future is window film... Why? Well.. When you have the largest glass manny buy a window film company, it is clear to see why.

Agreed, If scarring people into protecting themselves is what it takes so be it. We can all see that the automobile manufacturers are incorporating some window tint

protection into their vehicles. But adding it takes it a step further. If they educated people publicly the hazards like they do cigarettes that would be a good thing. 

Just google skin cancer and you'll see why you should get you car tinted. 

Archived