Anchoring Films

Hi

I've never fitted safety film and have a question about anchoring. I see lots of suggestions and ideas about either a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch anchoring, my question may seem simple but how do you make the silicon that wide and still look good?  The tube and nossel that it comes out of is narrow.  Are there any videos or tips how to do this.

Btw it is a residentcial job 

thanks in advance

Wet glaze attachment (or anchoring) with that size of bead is mostly for wind storm or blast mitigation on commercial grade framing where it is possible to lay down those amounts. 1/2 inch bite to each surface creates a 3/4 inch across cap surface and 3/4 inch bite creates 1 inch across. The only time you need the 3/4 inch bite is when using Tremco Proglaze SSG for blast mitigation; otherwise Dow 995 is 1/2 inch bite to frame and film for both blast and windstorm.

Residential glazing systems were never tested for this type anchoring by any manufacturer due to the large number of differing designs, so the use of the above stated anchoring beads is moot and should never be used in any type of sales claim of possible performance. Even the commercial grade design used for testing is the only place an anchoring system can live up to test results; any claim of performance made for all other commercial grade frame systems outside what was used for testing is moot.

If you are installing film on residential for wind storm or break and entry mitigation you should look into the products from PentagonUSA.com; at least there are choices for different frame designs and they are able to be removed without permanent damage to non-metal framing. No claims of performance can be made with this product either; outside what they were tested for and upon which frame it was tested. :thumb

Try looking for an installation video through the sealant supplier's websites or YouTube.

HI

Thanks for the reply. here is a bit more information and questions if someone could help.

I have been asked by a customer who wishes to have?  safety film wither 4mm or 7mm clear fitted to internal doors and windows and a few external windows. The glass is single pane 3mm and 6mm not safety glass or tempered. The film is to help protect his children from getting injured so easily.

MY QUESTIONS ARE

1: Do i need to film both sides of an internal window? as children can play either side of it.

2: Since this is protection for children rather than storm or breaking and entering, is it nessasary to anchor the film in any way?

thanks in advance

I don't believe there is any way to answer that question with a simple yes or no. There is always a possibility of anything happening that is unforeseen. And if you tell your customer not to worry and something happens, ... Well chit flows down hill. It all depends on what your customer and you are comfortable with.

Since it's annealed glass , a daylight application is sufficient to prevent glass cuts in the event of breakage. At the most if some large object were propelled at the glass the result would be slivers which "could' stick in the skin as opposed to shards which can cause serious cuts. Lay out all scenarios to your client and let them decide based on the info.

HI

Thanks for the reply. here is a bit more information and questions if someone could help.

I have been asked by a customer who wishes to have?  safety film wither 4mm or 7mm clear fitted to internal doors and windows and a few external windows. The glass is single pane 3mm and 6mm not safety glass or tempered. The film is to help protect his children from getting injured so easily.

MY QUESTIONS ARE

1: Do i need to film both sides of an internal window? as children can play either side of it.

2: Since this is protection for children rather than storm or breaking and entering, is it nessasary to anchor the film in any way?

thanks in advance

I would do both sides.

That would depend on the frame type.

Archived