Window Film Expos in Australia?

Dammit! I got a new phone and couldn't take a screen shot but I wanted to be the one to call out this guy..... $199? That's a bit expensive for you TUR guys ain't it?

I mean when I worked for one of your shops it was $129 what does that make it for the us market? $50 a tint? On top of that selling people hp and giving them standard pro etc..... tint shanties be gone

We've never done tint for $129 nor have you worked for us.

So if you buy a bad apple at Wooloworths in Blacktown do you ring the Woolworths store at Brisbane and take a dig at their quailty? And then diss the entire Woolworths brand?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many years ago, right at the start of my career, a man I greatly respect told me

"Any clown can give away their product or services for free -

This doesn't make you a good businessman or salesman -

It just makes you a clown"

Wishing all the cheap skates in our industry all the best - without you tint customers would have nothing to complain about, and would never know just how good I am. :D

I can't say anything for Cessnock as I have never seen any of their work. Muswellbrook is a different story, I have seen multiple cars with terrible (but seems to be the standard) tints from TUR. For EG. To get an idea, go rent the movie Star Wars III - A New Hope, now, as it fades in, pause, not the part where the 'A long long time ago' is but the part where it's black and all the pretty stars are out, paused? good, that was all the windows, covered in contamination. That gave me hope that I am a good tinter. I'm not having a go at any company, just saying what I have seen.

When I first came to this forum a while back, the core group seemed to be bunch of truly experienced tinters who had passion for the quality of their work. Prices aside, looking for new tools/products etc hardly constitutes for quality, you could use the best tint in the world, but if you go rub it in the sand of Tatooine before you apply, a good tinter it makes you not.

You definitely get what you pay for, $199 might be a standard tint price. I'll say that again, standard tint price. I can charge more and feel like I give this industry a good name because I don't provide standard, I provide quality. People have no worries when they know quality is involved (with the exception of a very few who want cheap and mostly illegal jobs - but they are the people we steer the way of $199 tint shacks). TUR Cessnock is probs a great guy with good ideas etc. but for me (as I said I have never seen any work done by them) Muswellbrook store will speak for you as it is your brand and I have not seen a good tint yet.

If I came to a forum and was called out like this I would take it as creative criticism, figure out my flaws and work on them to make myself a better tinter. It's not like anyone is calling you names.

I respect your feedback and would like to know of you are referring primarily to the quality of the film or the quality of the job

Many years ago, right at the start of my career, a man I greatly respect told me

"Any clown can give away their product or services for free -

This doesn't make you a good businessman or salesman -

It just makes you a clown"

Wishing all the cheap skates in our industry all the best - without you tint customers would have nothing to complain about, and would never know just how good I am. :D

This post was asking about Expos - something that I thought would be a common interest amongst window tinters especially seeing how the US do the SEMA show which I would love it if we had something like that here in Australia

Instead you take a dig at our business of which you know nothing about. You don't know me or how I run my business so I don't see why it's any of your business to throw judgement and publicly criticise me. I'm not hiding behind an "anonymous" account, I'm proud of the work I do, Im proud of my store, I'm happy with the quality of the film I use and I know I offer an affordable service to my customers at $199

I enjoy meeting and talking to other (friendlier) window tinters and sharing stories, I've met a number of different tinters along the way and still continue to learn new tips and tricks and I enjoy helping others and if I am busy I refer my customers to other local tint shops.

so the prices I charge are really none of your business nor do I have a clue as to what you charge as the way you run your shop is none of my business!!

In any other field, imagine if a local business told their competitor they're too cheap - what do you think their reaction would be? "oh yea mate I'll raise my prices to keep you happy" Lets price fix ?

but if there are ppl on this forum who like to have a chat about new cars/events and tint in general then Pls let me know.

Well said TUR.  :thumb

I am disappointed that some of the guys here have taken this as an opportunity to attack.

This forum is a great place to learn, share and sometimes have a bit of light hearted fun.

But we need to remember that this is a "public" forum.

This topic has drifted way off track and no good can come from it. 

Treat others as you would like to be treated.  :twocents

Quality of the job.

I don't know the Quality of film that is used so I cant pass judgement. Again I am only going by what I have seen from the brand (TUR) you are involved with.

This leads back to another thread about passing on work. I have no problems with passing on work when I am too busy, but if the quality (film or job) is not at it's best (by my standards) I wouldn't pass it on.

And as a side note, when I get a bad apple from Woolies at Balcktown, I take it to Blacktown and Woolies Australia (FB is an amazing thing) then consider a local farmers market....I don't eat apples so I don't really know.

Maybe a gathering of tinters is just what is needed. As you said we can all learn from each other.

Dammit! I got a new phone and couldn't take a screen shot but I wanted to be the one to call out this guy..... $199? That's a bit expensive for you TUR guys ain't it?

I mean when I worked for one of your shops it was $129 what does that make it for the us market? $50 a tint? On top of that selling people hp and giving them standard pro etc..... tint shanties be gone

We've never done tint for $129 nor have you worked for us.

So if you buy a bad apple at Wooloworths in Blacktown do you ring the Woolworths store at Brisbane and take a dig at their quailty? And then diss the entire Woolworths brand?

Woolwooths would be responsible for creating and running the store via head office.

Just remember, when you go to a store to buy a bunch of Apples and 1 apple in the bag is rotten, people will generally pass the whole bunch off as rotten. If you are responsible for looking after the bunch, it may be time to take out the rotten apple or people will only ever see a bunch of rotten apples.

In that bunch may be the best and juiciest apples ever, but chances are that it will never be known because of that 1 bad apple.

The topic was about Apples right???

so the prices I charge are really none of your business nor do I have a clue as to what you charge as the way you run your shop is none of my business!!

In any other field, imagine if a local business told their competitor they're too cheap - what do you think their reaction would be? "oh yea mate I'll raise my prices to keep you happy" Lets price fix ?

It's not called price fixing.. It's called fixing prices.

Price fixing to me is when you offer a fixed price that your opposition (Good or not) can never compete against.

A fair price for struggling Mum's and Dad's?? At prices like that it wouldn't be long before everyone is the industry would be struggling Mum's and Dad's.

Setting low prices is designed to get the work in volume, and if you can push the work out fast then you can make money. A perfect recipe for making lots of stores and selling them off 1 by 1.

As far as an expo.. Maybe you should be asking your main supplier TUR.. They have taken huge market share and supply to a major chunk of the industry.. They should be paying a get togethers and other events.. Not a 1 man tinter from western sydney.

You know what they say.. If you want to it done right... You gotta do it yourself.

Quality of the job.

I don't know the Quality of film that is used so I cant pass judgement. Again I am only going by what I have seen from the brand (TUR) you are involved with.

This leads back to another thread about passing on work. I have no problems with passing on work when I am too busy, but if the quality (film or job) is not at it's best (by my standards) I wouldn't pass it on.

And as a side note, when I get a bad apple from Woolies at Balcktown, I take it to Blacktown and Woolies Australia (FB is an amazing thing) then consider a local farmers market....I don't eat apples so I don't really know.

Maybe a gathering of tinters is just what is needed. As you said we can all learn from each other.

unless you stand at the door and inspect every job that comes out of the shop I don't think it's fair to judge them for the odd job you may have seen

I guess the difference with you and I are that instead of publicly criticizing the company I do what's in the best interest of the customer so when customers come to me complaining about work done by another tint shop not from Tint Ur Ride I offer to inspect it and explain what's wrong (spears I push out, dirt I explain are dust particles and won't cause the film to bubble but if they're not happy with it for visual appearance they can return to the installer and raise the issue / I don't join in on a public tirade against the company but explain sometimes human error can happen even from a slight gust of wind/film coming in contact with something/left over glue etc) Like I said I am proud of my business and I don't need to bag other tint shops to get work

we have 2 tinters at cessnock and we can check each others work / it's true that others see things that you might miss which can happen when you're a one man show

I put my hand straight up to say I'm not perfect but I always rectify the problem as part of my customer service

Well said TUR.  :thumb

I am disappointed that some of the guys here have taken this as an opportunity to attack.

This forum is a great place to learn, share and sometimes have a bit of light hearted fun.

But we need to remember that this is a "public" forum.

This topic has drifted way off track and no good can come from it. 

Treat others as you would like to be treated.  :twocents

thank you.

Welcome to tintdude out it this way if they don't know you they don't like you thuglife baby

LOL it seems they all know me but I know none of them.

I am judging on every job I have seen from that shop, this is before the customer has taken delivery, I am not publicly criticising as this (even though public) is not a forum the average joe goes to.

The other difference is when I see dirt or dust particles in the film I will explain to a customer that they shouldn't be there.

I will take up to 4/5 hours on a car if it's not 'right' but I also charge enough to cover myself for that loss of time, all for the knowledge that I can sleep at night.

I'm not on a public tirade against you, in fact i even said we can all learn from each other if we had a get together.

I am stating facts from what I have seen, nothing more.

In conclusion I have a long drive to Scone right now and would rather not continue getting off topic, if you want to chat about this more, I suggest PMing me

Archived