Window Film Expos in Australia?

Well said TUR.  :thumb

I am disappointed that some of the guys here have taken this as an opportunity to attack.

This forum is a great place to learn, share and sometimes have a bit of light hearted fun.

But we need to remember that this is a "public" forum.

This topic has drifted way off track and no good can come from it. 

Treat others as you would like to be treated.  :twocents

:ditto

Dammit! I got a new phone and couldn't take a screen shot but I wanted to be the one to call out this guy..... $199? That's a bit expensive for you TUR guys ain't it?

I mean when I worked for one of your shops it was $129 what does that make it for the us market? $50 a tint? On top of that selling people hp and giving them standard pro etc..... tint shanties be gone

We've never done tint for $129 nor have you worked for us.

So if you buy a bad apple at Wooloworths in Blacktown do you ring the Woolworths store at Brisbane and take a dig at their quailty? And then diss the entire Woolworths brand?

Woolwooths would be responsible for creating and running the store via head office.

Just remember, when you go to a store to buy a bunch of Apples and 1 apple in the bag is rotten, people will generally pass the whole bunch off as rotten. If you are responsible for looking after the bunch, it may be time to take out the rotten apple or people will only ever see a bunch of rotten apples.

In that bunch may be the best and juiciest apples ever, but chances are that it will never be known because of that 1 bad apple.

The topic was about Apples right???

Again :ditto

What you're experiencing here TUR is the same problem any franchise group faces and is the reason that no matter how many times I'm asked or by whom, I will never franchise my business.

As much as a franchisor would like to think that they have 100% control of how their business is represented, that is never the case. GTS's apple analogy sums up your situation perfectly. It's unfortunate but true, you will always be held accountable for the actions of your fellow franchisees. :twocents

As for trade shows, there are things done on a smaller scale on occasion, but not so much that directly relates to tint.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dammit! I got a new phone and couldn't take a screen shot but I wanted to be the one to call out this guy..... $199? That's a bit expensive for you TUR guys ain't it?

I mean when I worked for one of your shops it was $129 what does that make it for the us market? $50 a tint? On top of that selling people hp and giving them standard pro etc..... tint shanties be gone

So if you buy a bad apple at Wooloworths in Blacktown do you ring the Woolworths store at Brisbane and take a dig at their quailty? And then diss the entire Woolworths brand?

Woolwooths would be responsible for creating and running the store via head office.

Just remember, when you go to a store to buy a bunch of Apples and 1 apple in the bag is rotten, people will generally pass the whole bunch off as rotten. If you are responsible for looking after the bunch, it may be time to take out the rotten apple or people will only ever see a bunch of rotten apples.

In that bunch may be the best and juiciest apples ever, but chances are that it will never be known because of that 1 bad apple.

so the prices I charge are really none of your business nor do I have a clue as to what you charge as the way you run your shop is none of my business!!

In any other field, imagine if a local business told their competitor they're too cheap - what do you think their reaction would be? "oh yea mate I'll raise my prices to keep you happy" Lets price fix ?

It's not called price fixing.. It's called fixing prices.

Price fixing to me is when you offer a fixed price that your opposition (Good or not) can never compete against.

A fair price for struggling Mum's and Dad's?? At prices like that it wouldn't be long before everyone is the industry would be struggling Mum's and Dad's.

Setting low prices is designed to get the work in volume, and if you can push the work out fast then you can make money. A perfect recipe for making lots of stores and selling them off 1 by 1.

As far as an expo.. Maybe you should be asking your main supplier TUR.. They have taken huge market share and supply to a major chunk of the industry.. They should be paying a get togethers and other events.. Not a 1 man tinter from western sydney.

You know what they say.. If you want to it done right... You gotta do it yourself.

Can I ask is there anything you guys DO like about Tint Ur Ride?

I'm proud to carry Suntek as one of my films and the main reason is that it hasnt let us down. I've been tinting for long enough to be able to see how a film lasts and in the early days I have been let down by a different brand.

Suntek looks good, performs well and good to work with (I know some dont like it or agree but each to their own). I've seen comments with tinters not liking Suntek and no doubt there's plenty of better films on the market and there's plenty worse. My personal cars, my friends and family cars are tinted in Suntek. Some for many years and they're still looking great. Prior to using Suntek this wasnt the case. Prior to using Suntek, a "reputable" branded film I carried failed. On many cars. I dont want that for my company. Suntek hasnt failed on me which is where my loyalty lies. How/where and whatever marketshare Suntek has is their business. I shouldnt be singled out for using their film.

The suppliers price isnt everything - I prefer to pay more for a Suntek film that I know I can count on, rather than something that will give me 100s of returns. I think tinters preferences on some films are like a Holden/Ford comparision - you either love one or the other (or neither), for your own reasons. We get set in our ways and that's not something we should be judged upon, just accept that everyone is different.

Like I said, I am always keen to see whats the latest on the market (hence the Expo question). Not Suntek alone but in the industry as a whole. After a recommendation I'm looking at Ceramic FIlms (not Suntek) and I like to be able to offer my customers variety, what does everyone else carry? Do you all use one film or carry a few brands?

I'm quite surprised by the reaction to our $199 price as I considered it an average price in the industry. I spent 5 minutes this morning doing a bit of research on prices and the first "TintDude" user I looked in to, I found an ad where they're offering tint for a car for a price FAR below $199. If someone wants to charge that price, good luck to them. It is their business afterall. But please dont judge me on here when you've done prices well below mine.

This is my last post in this discussion as I dont think I should have to justify my business to everyone. I am sorry to see negative comments here but I've had my fair share of ups and downs and work hard just like you do.  I genuinely believe my Cessnock store is a positive contributor to the industry and if you have any input please feel free to PM me. If you have any concerns with other Tint Ur Ride stores feel free to raise it with them?

And regarding the apples, I wouldnt throw the whole bag away, I'd try the next one. :yoda

Many years ago, right at the start of my career, a man I greatly respect told me

"Any clown can give away their product or services for free -

This doesn't make you a good businessman or salesman -

It just makes you a clown"

Wishing all the cheap skates in our industry all the best - without you tint customers would have nothing to complain about, and would never know just how good I am. :D

This post was asking about Expos - something that I thought would be a common interest amongst window tinters especially seeing how the US do the SEMA show which I would love it if we had something like that here in Australia

Instead you take a dig at our business of which you know nothing about. You don't know me or how I run my business so I don't see why it's any of your business to throw judgement and publicly criticise me. I'm not hiding behind an "anonymous" account, I'm proud of the work I do, Im proud of my store, I'm happy with the quality of the film I use and I know I offer an affordable service to my customers at $199

I enjoy meeting and talking to other (friendlier) window tinters and sharing stories, I've met a number of different tinters along the way and still continue to learn new tips and tricks and I enjoy helping others and if I am busy I refer my customers to other local tint shops.

so the prices I charge are really none of your business nor do I have a clue as to what you charge as the way you run your shop is none of my business!!

In any other field, imagine if a local business told their competitor they're too cheap - what do you think their reaction would be? "oh yea mate I'll raise my prices to keep you happy" Lets price fix ?

but if there are ppl on this forum who like to have a chat about new cars/events and tint in general then Pls let me know.

Not me sir, 'twas the other guy. :lol

I have no problem with you Cess, and by the way ... Welcome to the forum.

I have no idea about your prices or your business which is why I kept my comments to a very general nature.

And yes, this thread went waaaaay off track, very unusual for TD :D

Many years ago, right at the start of my career, a man I greatly respect told me

"Any clown can give away their product or services for free -

This doesn't make you a good businessman or salesman -

It just makes you a clown"

Wishing all the cheap skates in our industry all the best - without you tint customers would have nothing to complain about, and would never know just how good I am. :D

This post was asking about Expos - something that I thought would be a common interest amongst window tinters especially seeing how the US do the SEMA show which I would love it if we had something like that here in Australia

Instead you take a dig at our business of which you know nothing about. You don't know me or how I run my business so I don't see why it's any of your business to throw judgement and publicly criticise me. I'm not hiding behind an "anonymous" account, I'm proud of the work I do, Im proud of my store, I'm happy with the quality of the film I use and I know I offer an affordable service to my customers at $199

I enjoy meeting and talking to other (friendlier) window tinters and sharing stories, I've met a number of different tinters along the way and still continue to learn new tips and tricks and I enjoy helping others and if I am busy I refer my customers to other local tint shops.

but if there are ppl on this forum who like to have a chat about new cars/events and tint in general then Pls let me know.

Not me sir, 'twas the other guy. :lol

I have no problem with you Cess, and by the way ... Welcome to the forum.

I have no idea about your prices or your business which is why I kept my comments to a very general nature.

And yes, this thread went waaaaay off track, very unusual for TD :D

lol no worries :)

Gentlemen ...get with the times!

It doesn't matter a rats who you are but if any organisation is doing auto tints sub $200 ($129-195 as suggested) then you are not making "real moola" in these days and times. :idontgetit

I'd be more than happy to analyse your modis operandi for free once I retire and hang up the squeegee.

As for expos, I think they are a good idea and I have been to a fair few but the cost of putting them on for these distributors is quite expensive so I'm told and that's why we see very few of them.

Kudos to GTS as an individual for giving it a go. :thumb

Devil

Wtf? So you deny that you being the head of the franchise network had nothing to do with setting up your Fairfield store with $129 tint job coupons on Web based coupon sites?

If that is the case then that pulls down the whole industry and the only thing it misconstrues to the public is that tint should be around that mark because it's advertised as such and therefore any dearer prices based purely on dollars must be a touch which is definitely not the reality .

Devil

Wtf? So you deny that you being the head of the franchise network had nothing to do with setting up your Fairfield store with $129 tint job coupons on Web based coupon sites?

LOL 35 it's almost entertaining of your assumptions you make about me.. I'm almost flattered with the interest you have. 

I don't need to answer to you 35, especially since I have joined the dots that you are a disgruntled ex-employee of that particular store, and yes I personally have no involvement with the $129 deals - think about it, if I supported $129 deals you'd be seeing them at Cessnock. Have you ever seen any advertising from my store for $129 or any store that I have owned? Never. Do I or have I owned the store you previously worked at? No. Do I have a right to tell that store owner what to do? Hell no. 

In my opinion Group discount websites are bad news - not just for window tinting but many trades, and the only real winners are the Group Discount site owners- they encourage inflation of prices to promote exaggerated discounts, whilst taking a nice chuck of the sale.  Again I don't need to answer to you 35, but I have an archive of emails repeatedly rejecting participation in Group Discount offers from those companies. 

35 just because you worked at that store and now run your own show doesn't mean your 'insider' knowledge is correct, nor does it make you an expert in the business or give you a right to tell what other business owners should or shouldn't do, just as I don't have the right to do so to others.

If I told you from now on you can only charge $X per car, I'm sure you'll tell me where to go.

Fair enough you had a negative experience with that store but how about you let go and try to embrace that experience as you experience has now given you the drive and passion to do better. 

I think it's great you are so interested about the industry and building up a reputation, being a ITN member will teach you good values and I agree with Devil re GTS.

At the moment I can see by your numerous forum comments you're quite focused on the competition, perhaps channel that energy into your own business - if you have a good product and offer a good service your customers will be loyal to you. You don't need to study your competition. For the life of me I couldn't even give you a guessed price of what my local competition charges their customers or what brand of film they use. 

Please get your facts correct before making accusations and spreading rumours against me. We're not all bad apples. 

I am disappointed that some of the guys here have taken this as an opportunity to attack.

This forum is a great place to learn, share and sometimes have a bit of light hearted fun.

What you're experiencing here TUR is the same problem any franchise group faces and is the reason that no matter how many times I'm asked or by whom, I will never franchise my business.

As much as a franchisor would like to think that they have 100% control of how their business is represented, that is never the case. GTS's apple analogy sums up your situation perfectly. It's unfortunate but true, you will always be held accountable for the actions of your fellow franchisees. :twocents

As for trade shows, there are things done on a smaller scale on occasion, but not so much that directly relates to tint.

All valid points cheers.  

All that aside Cessnock... Please DO NOT leave this forum :please

You have just as much right as anyone to share your thoughts and experiences about the tinting industry.

Our thoughts will never ever be the same, that doesn't mean we can't be mates.

There's a good chance we all have something to gain from your experiences, and our bad experiences can be a positive thing long term, as it gives us drive and passion.

The way that TUR is structured is very confusing and I had a friend of mine confirm everything that you said about TUR is true, and that you may have just placed your trust in the wrong person and that has cost you badly. There is room for all here and the only way we can grow long term is to work together, and 35 of all people should have learned that by now. 1 year ago he was working for peanuts for a clown trying to pump out 10 cars a day. Now he is the young prodigy that is going to take on Australia's largest city as a stand alone independent professional and in time will be running some of the largest tinting projects in Australia. All whilst being supported by other ITN professionals every step of the way. 35 is not like an apple, he is more like an onion.. Just gotta peel back a few layers to find a great guy that wants to create a legacy in life even though he has had all the odds against him.

I took him for what he is and not for what he was, and helped him without asking in return. He has passion, and that shows when topics about low pricing come around. As you said, if and when he can channel that passion, he will move mountains.

Just stick around.. Don't be thrown off by your reception.. This is the thunderdome... Even Thu9life takes it as water off a ducks back.

There is a great bunch here, and rest assured you can learn something that will help your business.

Just on topic again... I didn't say that SunTek is a bad product, I was simply suggesting that they should be putting their hand in their pockets and offering trade days and trying to help businesses that buy their products in more ways then just selling film at cheapest price.

Just my thoughts..

:please keep this thread going, its the most action ive seen this week  since my neighbours  finally put some blinds up and turned the lights off!  :hide   :bdog

I am judging on every job I have seen from that shop, this is before the customer has taken delivery, I am not publicly criticising as this (even though public) is not a forum the average joe goes to.

The other difference is when I see dirt or dust particles in the film I will explain to a customer that they shouldn't be there.
I will take up to 4/5 hours on a car if it's not 'right' but I also charge enough to cover myself for that loss of time, all for the knowledge that I can sleep at night.

I'm not on a public tirade against you, in fact i even said we can all learn from each other if we had a get together.

I am stating facts from what I have seen, nothing more.

In conclusion I have a long drive to Scone right now and would rather not continue getting off topic, if you want to chat about this more, I suggest PMing me

should of kept coming another hour I had shit loads of cars

Give me an Expo any day!

I've been to SEMA and nothing else compares.

I don't see why it would cost a distributor/manny much to attend a show and I'm sure they can afford it?

I'll will offer my factory of 350m2 to all the film guys to come down to Melbourne and exhibit their ranges for FREE!

Easily fit them all in.

Come on, I offer the challenge to them all!

Now wouldn't that be a sight to see and well worth doing for the good of the industry.

Archived