had my first picky customer today, asked for a re-do

Ultimately making the customer happy should be your top priority. Having said that- I've had some very pretentious and overly anal customers before. They nit picked everything: the shade they personally picked, the color of the film on the inside, the way it looked over the matrix and the fact that there was one minuscule piece of lint on the bottom edge of the passenger back door. The job itself was the best I could offer and would have been beyond satisfactory to any normal human. These we not normal humans. I knew after hearing their complaints I needed some back up. So I had them call my film rep and he explained the 5ft rule, dot matrix issues and film quality. I think most film mannys will back you about the 5ft rule. The rule of thumb is that if the inclusion isn't visible from 5ft away then it's passable. If anyone else knows this for certain or can contradict it please comment. I usually explain to an overly critical customer that I want them happy, will absolutely redo their door(for the one piece of contamination they can barely see). However when I redo it there is an even higher chance of contamination now that I have to remove all the glue, along with the chance of chemicals getting all inside their door and on their door panels. They usually opt to just let it be. Were all human. There's gonna be a speck of contamination at some point. It's the nature of the beast.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard many times about this so called 5 foot rule( or 6 foot rule depending on who is telling the story).

What a load of C - RAP.

You set the standards for your own business.

You decide how you wish to treat your customers.

Not some arbitrary Tint God who has come up with a Golden Rule of Tinting.

I have heard many times about this so called 5 foot rule( or 6 foot rule depending on who is telling the story).

What a load of C - RAP.

You set the standards for your own business.

You decide how you wish to treat your customers.

Not some arbitrary Tint God who has come up with a Golden Rule of Tinting.

I agree.

Was tinting with GTS at his shop the other day.....

We found ourselves looking for specs within an inch...... not 5 feet away.

If I had dirt in a Window and a customer could see it and had told me about it, the last thing I'd be doing is measuring 5 ft and asking them if they can see it from there.....

I had THE fussiest customer in 30 yrs the other day. I knew shed be a tough one but Dayum !

It had not a single speck in it , no light gaps, tight top edge . As perfect as perfect can get for auto tinting. What was the complaint ? You know where the manufacturer black raised stamp is embedded into the door glassine some cars ? she didn't like the micro perimeter of white that happens when you tint over the stamp and she was "losing sleep" over it and its all she sees and could think about .

I shoit you not this happened last week. I never have complaints with my work . This is beyond unreasonable . The only way out if not redoing it and for her to be able to "live with it" was for me to to have her look at any 10 other tint jobs she randomly saw and inspect it with the same careful eye she has judged her own car on and if she found 1 door window she was actually happy with, I strip and refund her money and pay a Tinter of her choice. She came back to me distraught saying they are all bad and much worse than the window I did with the raised tint around the stamp so now she's ok with it.

I do t know how someone can go through life like that

I was just relaying a previous experience of mine and how my film rep handled it. I'm not saying slop tint on, and as long as you can't see dirt under from 5' away you're good. Do your best to avoid contamination. Do your best to accommodate your customers. I'm sure that's the basic plan we all follow. But were human. And were gonna falter at some point. I was just astounded and proud my rep had my back. That's all. :thumb

I had THE fussiest customer in 30 yrs the other day. I knew shed be a tough one but Dayum !

It had not a single speck in it , no light gaps, tight top edge . As perfect as perfect can get for auto tinting. What was the complaint ? You know where the manufacturer black raised stamp is embedded into the door glassine some cars ? she didn't like the micro perimeter of white that happens when you tint over the stamp and she was "losing sleep" over it and its all she sees and could think about .

I shoit you not this happened last week. I never have complaints with my work . This is beyond unreasonable . The only way out if not redoing it and for her to be able to "live with it" was for me to to have her look at any 10 other tint jobs she randomly saw and inspect it with the same careful eye she has judged her own car on and if she found 1 door window she was actually happy with, I strip and refund her money and pay a Tinter of her choice. She came back to me distraught saying they are all bad and much worse than the window I did with the raised tint around the stamp so now she's ok with it.

I do t know how someone can go through life like that

Wow really? losing sleep over that? ha makes you wonder how they have any friends or how their spouse can actually put up with her. Or even make her happy for that matter. Must be one hell of a man lol

I couldn't but help notice there was no ring in the finger as I wondered that myself . :lol

To set the record straight though , it's not a " female issue " but rather a "human issue" that doesn't discriminate between sexes

Archived