2012 golf back window from hell?

Guest Derek Medeiros

apparently my trainer/mentor said that 2012-13 was particularly the hard year to do.

the pictures above are of the older golfs/rabbits golfs, which for me are not nearly as hard.

as for soap, I use a regular soap bar wrapped in a microfiber cloth, soaked and swirled on, dried and then I lay my tint, with my H pattern.

Ive never used the Lumar ATR, I have heard of people telling me Lumar atc is the cheapest lumar tint to purchase.

I do not make the calls on what to buy, my boss does that and I'm fairly certain we have a good deal with Energaurd (Canadian supplier) who sells us this stuff.

I tried pulling the corners and it still would melt!

Try the dryer sheet instead of soap, I find the soap to make the film a little tackier to the glass not allowing it slide as much while shrinking. I have used a lot of lulu ATC and have had no problems with it shrinking. You might be trying to shrink the film too fast in one area.  :dunno  Try keeping the heat gun a little further away from the film and try shrinking it evenly across. Just a though! Yes ATC is less expensive then ATR, but ATR will shrink a little better. Might be worth the few extra $$. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tint the corners of these windows on an angle. I start each corner on the edge of my middle anchorline and shrink sideways towards the top or bottom center of the glass depending on which one I am working on. Seems to work good for me with Solargard supreme series

Guest Derek Medeiros

well I tinted a car today that made me feel a lot better about my work (easy car to tint tho)

cant wait to get another golf in house, maybe this time it won't be so hard

this is what I did today

532911_10152533158187648_369911375752142

10613099_10152533158272648_3246822779576

LLumar had that very glass on a stand at the WFTC for installers to give a try.  The film used on it was CTX.  It kicked some installers tails, others made it look easy.  Funny cause it's a small glass on a stand that does not look difficult.

ATR is the benchmark LLumar and many others strive to reach in terms of user friendliness and longevity.  Hang in there with ATC. 

It never fails, if you talk about something you will end up doing it, walked into a dealership I do and the used car manager goes to me I got some cars I need you to do so we walk outside and the first thing he points out is a white 2012 golf, all I could do is laugh. I can see where they would be tricky if your not used to shrinking big amounts out of a little area or if your using a film that doesn't shrink well.

one thing that made it a little easier was leaving sides long and then shrinking into them, definitely would not want to H lock that piece of film. found that when shrinking that window on the bottom I shrunk from the middle out and on the top started from the outside and worked in.

Hey guy. I'm really new at this but I'm trying like hell. I got my tools and my film in yesterday. Been practicing with gila haha yea it's shit but I wasn't gonna screw good film up. I'm having trouble with my f150 2011. All windows went well except driver and passager. My cuts are ok, tucking the film on the bottom is kicking my ass every time until I just rip it off and trying again the next day. Does the door panel have to come off this truck? Or am I cutting the film on the bottom to long. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm excited to learn all I can. Thanks for ur time.

Archived