Jettas needs new tint

Guest VwJettaWolfMK3

Guest VwJettaWolfMK3

Hello I'm new here, I'm normally on vwvortex user name vwjettagl92. This is a cool forum with lots of info and smart guys. I'm posting this so I can get answer from peopel that have worked on vws before and know teh do's and don'ts compared to other cars.

So I bought my 99 jetta this fall, the PO had it tinted and they used cheap tint. Its black in some light but its turning purple. It also only 35% I want to get 20% like I had on my last jetta. The car is only 5 yrs old so the tint can only 5 or 4 yrs old by looking at it. This car is in good shape but the girl that was selling it must have had forsale signs taped on the tint, the rear windows look bad.

I really want to keep my defrost lines so what the safest way to get this removed. I plan on getting this done my professional whos has expirence. I just want to make sure they do the right thing for my car. Which method is safer, ammonia and black bag, or Steamer ? Are Vw defrost lines easy to take off or fairly stronger?

I know I just posted in the rear deck removal but I would also like to remove mine for the tint installers, I plan on replacing the rear speakers anyway. Is there anything diffrent for the mk3?

I really want to get some nice quality 20% black tint any recommendations? There local place that uses Tint tek so I'll take it there. I'm probably going to wait till summer so it hot out wehn they remove in and a sunny day. I'll probably get them to remove it and take there time and get it installed later on. If you know any place on Long island south shore that does great job let me know.

Thanks for any help guys :thumb

ammonia and black bag, or Steamer ?

Both will do the trick. I like the steamer though it's alot cleaner. Bagging it would be alot cheaper. After you bag it you will have to scrub the adhesive off. Use a white scrubbie instead of a green one. Green ones tend to scratch. :thumb

You could even get away with steel wool. I use 0000 some guys on here use 000 and haven't said there were any problems.

Guest thewilson

Hey man, I'm in the same boat - also got a mk3 jetta and tryin to find out how to remove the rear deck. Did you get any luck in finding out hows best to do it? please let me know if you did, thanks, take it easy. :lol2

Just to give anybody a "heads up" where this post is concerned.

Many customers attempt to remove their old tint themselves but be warned , there is 2 different types of removal..there's the removal that is good enough that if you were never tinting the windows again , then that's OK.

Then there is the other type of removal which if every speck of glue in every corner of every window and every defrost line has no little clumpy balls of transparent glue on it or you removed most of the tint ..just what you couldn't reach in the bottom corners of a back glass or within the top matrix if applicable.

What I'm saying is in all the yrs I've been tinting..only a very select few customers presented me with a removal job that was good enough NOT to charge extra , everyone else just wasted their time in trying to save money in attempting removal themselves ..again ..I'm only referring to the removal good enough for a retint.

I'll put it into autobody terms:

You have a car you want bodywork and repainted ..you don't like the quote you got , so instead you decide to go on the internet, learn how to do your own body work , then after your done, take it to the pro to get it painted. At the end..your paintjob is only going to be as good as the prep and bondo job you did...get the comparison :thumb

:klingon

Hey guys, just thought I would chime in sense I just did a few jettas last week, first off, let your film installer remove the film, they should be able to remove the film with less chance of damage to your windows or defroster. To answer about the rear deck, these things are not too bad to remove, first remove the bottom of the rear seat, then the two bolts at the bottom of the rear seat back, and then the seat belt ancoring bolts from the floor. Now lift the rear seat back up to release the clips that hold it in place and remove the seat back. Now remove the plastic covers on the three ancors on the rear deck, then remove the bolts that attach the ancors to the rear deck. Now disconnect third lamp harness under deck and remove deck... Best of luck, but I would just let a tinter do the removal, oh and sorry for commenting on an old post... :thumb

Archived