Rock dents not chips.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:chin   So you are noticing this in the plastic and not the metal.  Plastic bumpers are painted with a urethane paint that is flexible and gives with the bumper. Unlike the paint on metal.  Seem like it is still protecting the bumper, but allowing impressions in the flexible paint :?  Would be nice to see a test on a protected and non protected bumper to see what is going on, and whether it is feasible to still cover urethane painted bumpers??   

:chin   So you are noticing this in the plastic and not the metal.  Plastic bumpers are painted with a urethane paint that is flexible and gives with the bumper. Unlike the paint on metal.  Seem like it is still protecting the bumper, but allowing impressions in the flexible paint :?  Would be nice to see a test on a protected and non protected bumper to see what is going on, and whether it is feasible to still cover urethane painted bumpers??  

These are where rocks have hit hard enough to leave an impression in the plastic under the paint and surely would have been a large paint chip.  It will happen to almost every car driven on a daily basis.  While a few hard hits leave these impressions, there are literally tens of thousands more impacts that will do no damage whatsoever to the bumper or the film.  I have seen this on hoods as well so get used to it.  I tell my customers its not going to stop a brick or a bullet

IMAG0364.jpg

This customer hit the side of their garage

IMAG0383.jpg

Notice the impression on the outside of the fog light.

I saw these impressions in the plastic bumper cover. Where were yours Jake?

Only on the plastic bumper cover also. Hood and fenders had none.

Have you already installed the new film? If so what did you use? Were the indentions still visable?

Yes, I reapplied Suntek PPF to it already. The impressions are not visible after the install. The car is metallic red FYI.

The paint is the same on the bumper as it is the rest of the car.  These are where rocks have hit hard enough to leave an impression in the plastic under the paint and surely would have been a large paint chip.  It will happen to almost every car driven on a daily basis.  While a few hard hits leave these impressions, there are literally tens of thousands more impacts that will do no damage whatsoever to the bumper or the film.  I have seen this on hoods as well so get used to it.  I tell my customers its not going to stop a brick or a bullet

I agree the PPF did its job, and otherwise would have been many rock chips. This is just something I have never noticed before. Also to mention the customer told me this is a company car that is driven a ton for business trips. I should have checked the mileage. One of my main thoughts is does this seem to happen on the thicker 8mil films like say Xpel, with Suntek being 6mil?I am not really to concerned much as this has never posed a problem in all my years in PPF.

I saw these impressions in the plastic bumper cover. Where were yours Jake?

Only on the plastic bumper cover also. Hood and fenders had none.

Have you already installed the new film? If so what did you use? Were the indentions still visable?

Yes, I reapplied Suntek PPF to it already. The impressions are not visible after the install. The car is metallic red FYI.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any air pockets where the impressions were after the film dries out.

The Xpel film is also 6 mil unless you count the liner and adhesive.  Yes it will dry down into those areas and they will be visible again. 

Well in that case, isn't the suntek 4MIL AND 2MIL adhesive?

Archived