chemical of choice to sweat back windows

When regular soap and water mix doesn't do the trick we bust out the old school clothes steamer. If that doesn't do it, it's not going to happen, although I can't remember the last time we actually had to scrape a back window defroster. 

I like the constant steam as compared to the trigger activated models. 

Here's a link to a good one: 

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-4474/Store-Operations/Jiffy-Garment-Steamer-Commercial-J-4000?pricode=WZ757&gadtype=pla&id=H-4474&gclid=CO-Oyb6cvMQCFYGUfgod66QABA&gclsrc=aw.ds

When regular soap and water mix doesn't do the trick we bust out the old school clothes steamer. If that doesn't do it, it's not going to happen, although I can't remember the last time we actually had to scrape a back window defroster. 

I like the constant steam as compared to the trigger activated models. 

Here's a link to a good one: 

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-4474/Store-Operations/Jiffy-Garment-Steamer-Commercial-J-4000?pricode=WZ757&gadtype=pla&id=H-4474&gclid=CO-Oyb6cvMQCFYGUfgod66QABA&gclsrc=aw.ds

in 25 years you never had to scrape a back window and you live in arizona . You must have the magic touch . 

Let me reiterate from previous posts---"-----  Castrol Super Clean is one of the best )" (ok, ammonia is good too) but after using them all the Castrol seems to permeate into the adhesive better for whatever reason, You do have to take care to tarp or protect all surrounding areas as it is rather caustic , and you don't want to smell the vapors from a hot window. But.... in most instances ,even stubborn "purple" bubbled film will come off easily. :cool

I think it comes down to the type/brand of film which sometimes we don't always know on what kind of chemical may or may not loosen the film for easier removal. I have used steam on some films which left more adhesive behind than just slowing pulling on it with no heat at all.

try this: Use a Steamer, pull a corner and then get the steam right on the glue edge when pulling it off. i do this and it leaves almost nothing behind. no mess - no huge cleanup.

I have tried every possible angle to remove film with a steamer. Most of the time it works, other times it doesn't.  My first choice of attack will always be sweating the film first. Then I will use the steamer to help assist. The steamer can only heat a certain amount of area compared to bagging the whole back glass allowing the chemical of choice to do it's job.  :twocents

I think it comes down to the type/brand of film which sometimes we don't always know on what kind of chemical may or may not loosen the film for easier removal. I have used steam on some films which left more adhesive behind than just slowing pulling on it with no heat at all.

I agree. Being in Maine I can only sweat back glass when it's hot..... That's not often here Lol. I try steamer first, if that doesn't work best stuff I've used is atr adhesive remover that 44 tools sells

My wife just got her moms old car back in December. I originally tinted it about 9 years ago and it went to crap. I don't remember the brand but no biggie. It took almost 3 days of sweating/soaking the back glass to get the old film off without damaging the defroster lines. I tried ammonia,all purpose cleaner and the steamer and took forever.

Archived