mobile vs shop

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been mobile for over 12 years now. When I started it was my only option as all the business was an hour away. I have had two shops that I have worked out of but honestly it didn't make much sense. Most of my clients will pay significantly more to save them the time and inconvenience of taking a car down, dropping it off, getting a ride back, and so on. But without overhead I can drop my rates if I want and still make great money. I have a lot of high end dealerships that will let me install in their space... and in fact many of them will not let the car leave due to liability issues. I also network with other detailers, performance shops, and accessory shops which allow me to work there as it usually brings them business as well. If something happens and the economy tanks (which could easily happen at anytime) I am not locked into a lease which could cost me thousands of dollars even after the business went down. There are advantages to both obviously... but I prefer to stay mobile and use others people's/stores space as opposed to having to pay for my own.

I hate mobile with a passion, I refuse to do anything outside. To each its own, in my opinion a shop is where it's at. Part of this industry is being ruined by mobile guys who want to make money and not invest back into their business like a store front. Yeah it's easier to load your car and drive around to your work, but the quality of the install will be no where near what it should be regardless how good you think you are. I honestly think suppliers shouldn't sell you anything without a working store front.

I hate mobile with a passion, I refuse to do anything outside. To each its own, in my opinion a shop is where it's at. Part of this industry is being ruined by mobile guys who want to make money and not invest back into their business like a store front. Yeah it's easier to load your car and drive around to your work, but the quality of the install will be no where near what it should be regardless how good you think you are. I honestly think suppliers shouldn't sell you anything without a working store front.

"Outside"????? I would be happy to compare my installs to anything you put out anytime. You act like mobile installers work outside or something... simply ridiculous to make that assumption. If I go work at a dealership in their delivery room, or at another detailers shop, what is the difference of that and where you work? I promise you that some of the areas  I work in consistently are cleaner than your shop.

This is you correct?

https://www.facebook.com/tintmaster2006

http://www.tintmastersdmv.com/sales-and-discounts/

After looking at your profile and seeing pics of the shop you work in I know for a FACT I work in cleaner environments. By the way how many clear bra installs do you do??? Out of an entire website I see one partial hood on a Tesla and not any pertinent information on films or clear bra services you offer.

"Outside"????? I would be happy to compare my installs to anything you put out anytime. You act like mobile installers work outside or something... simply ridiculous to make that assumption. If I go work at a dealership in their delivery room, or at another detailers shop, what is the difference of that and where you work? I promise you that some of the areas I work in consistently are cleaner than your shop.

This is you correct?

https://www.facebook.com/tintmaster2006

http://www.tintmastersdmv.com/sales-and-discounts/

After looking at your profile and seeing pics of the shop you work in I know for a FACT I work in cleaner environments. By the way how many clear bra installs do you do??? Out of an entire website I see one partial hood on a Tesla and not any pertinent information on films or clear bra services you offer.

Lol, funny you call me ridiculous for making a "assumption" and yet you make an assumption on my work based off a page and website that's not complete. If the shoe fits, wear it. Put your money where your mouth is since your in doubt on my install abilities and how clean work can be. Sorry I like working comfortably in my own environment and not some shitty hole in the corner I can find whenever I need it. As far as my PPF installs I've done just as many if not more than you, from full front end coverage to full panel coverage installs and have used most films out there. So any time you're ready to put your money up, you know where to find me. :beer

I started off mobile but now most of the work is in my unit. Was hard work at first but now it works pretty well, even my Aston Martin dealer (who I had been installing on site for 5 years) now brings their cars to me. The upside is it frees up a ramp at the dealership (I don't work off the floor), no worries about the blower heaters kicking in in the winter just as I am transferring the film or them leaving the doors open in the summer, I am not limited to their opening hours (have worked into the small hours on many an occasion to meet a tight deadline or squeeze in that extra install), I can allow the car to sit after installation and let the film relax overnight and check for lifting the following day before collection. I could go on but you get the point.

Steve

Archived