mobile vs shop

Hey everyone. I've been mobile for the majority of my time installing PPF and I've done a great job with it. The more full wraps we're doing now make me want to get a shop. If you've been mobile and then opened a shop I'd love to ask you some questions. PM me with your number and best time to call if you can spare a few minutes to answer some questions.

Thanks everyone,

Kyle

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having started mobile 9 years ago and then moved into a small unit around 4 years ago I now hate mobile with a passion (although I sometimes still venture out if I really have to). With your own shop you are in complete control of the environment, no one opening the door just as you are about to lay that full bonnet, if for whatever reason you are not happy with a panel you can just cut a new one, tea and coffee whenever you want and most important of all you can listen to your own music...lol

Steve

:yeah   If he's willing to pay the type of rent they charge around London, then you KNOW it's worth it. 

- Makes for consistent, cleaner conditions/installs (the most important reason by far)

- Maximizes your workday by eliminating unnecesary dashboard time on retail jobs

- It allows for walk-in retail inquiries

- It gives your customers a greater sense of security that you will be available in the future to address any concerns

- It makes it easier to sell your business in the future, should you decide to do so (as business owners, you should all think about what happens to your business when you are tired of running it)

When you factor in all of those considerations, it makes it a lot less intimidating.  Heck, if you just added up the wasted time and film from having to do installs in a less than desirable place, along with the cost of unproductive time spent driving around town, you could probably cover a rent bill already.

We encourage every installer to crunch the numbers and figure out what your time is really worth, because it will make every decision eassier and more meaningful.  It really helps you figure out where your time is best spent!

I like the combination of both mobile and workshop based. I set out the criteria I want to be faced with whilst mobile and enjoy the travelling.

Wouldn't want to do it everyday but a mixture of the two is great.

Jeff makes some really good points. I would like to add that you should also look at your customer base as well. Are you driving around mobile because you are doing wholesale or retail work? Dealerships, body shops, and any other shops that you might be subbing for might not let you take the vehicle back to you spot. Some areas like UT are all about taking the car to the shop and back. Can't get away with that in Boston. You gotta do the job there regardless of the environment. I would say chat with your supplier as they should have some solid advice for you. 

That is true Speed, and would definitely be the best place to be.  BUT--- you have to watch it.  It can also be the most expensive spot for rent and usually where all the hack shops try to set-up in a run down building.  Seem like every city I go through, I find what I call  "Dealership Row", and that's where all the $99 Tint anything shops are.  And if you do find a good building, they usually want out the roof for rent :facepalm

Archived