Sell a big name Brand or sell your own brand?

Hello all,I currently have two shops in and carry mostly EWF Classic Black and ceramic. I absolutely love these films and do not have any reason to switch other than them not being as well know as some of the other window film companies out there.How important is it to sell a big name brand when it comes to tint? I really like how 3M offers several selling tools and displays which can be very helpful when trying to up-sell. Should I just make my own displays and marketing materials and sell EWF as my own brand? I know there are several shops reboxing film and putting their own logo on the box. Is this as effective as just offering a brand like 3M or Johnson? I would appreciate any input i can get on this topic.Thank you.

Both ways have their own benefits as well as downfalls. Growing your name is always the most important thing you can do. Having a large name mfr, with marketing material and support behind you, can certainly help you do that.

Maybe not every customer, but some. It's almost like buying groceries, some people feel as if they have to purchase the name brand stuff because they think it will be better and are willing to pay more for it. 

I say always brand yourself in whatever way you can over selling the "name" of the film manufacturer. 

I for one have only been asked about name brand anything a few times in 16 years.  People don't really care as long as they believe in YOU!

Being aligned with a major mfr may help you when people are searching for your type of service. If you google window tinting in your area, it's possable a mfr will come up before any other shop. And if you are on their dlr locator, you may get a call. A certain mfr is spending large amounts of money these days to be front and center with the end user. It's a different strategy than in years past where film mfrs spent resources on marketing to tinters who already knew the brand was there. Every owner is going to have feelings one way or the other. Decide where you want your business to go and chose wisely.

Archived