debri in clearcoat causing bumps in wrap?

Hi everyone. New here with a question. Got a car wrapped while it was pretty new and after it was done there were a few (not many) small bumps that looks like sand got trapped between the vinyl and the car when applied. The installed mentioned that this happens time to time because manufacture clearcoats sometimes trap debri that you can't see when before the wrap.

I am asking the experts on here if this is true or not. I have seen plenty of wrapped cars but none seem to have this issue. If its true then so be it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately the car sat in a body shop for about a month after I waxed it before it got wrapped. They were backlogged. The car was only 2 months new from the factory (literally 2 months hot from assembly) so I would not assume it would need a clay bar treatment this early on. I could be wrong though.

A car should always be clay barred. Having said that we have come across plenty of times where small bumps appear under a wrap. It could be due to factory contaminants but also a clay bar cant get off everything (hard tree wax, road tar etc). 

Being two months old from an assembly line doesnt mean anything, yes less 'road' contaminants but have you ever seen a new car actually come off a truck? those things are filthy with the odd scratch that they cover up. The way it sits at the dealership and when you buy it is not the way it is when they get it.

The adhesive itself can have flaws in the adhesive causing rises. Wrapping is not a paint like finish and the vehicle wrapper should have explained that to you before you went down that path. It is prone to airbourne particles, the odd small hair, flaws in the vinyl etc. Its the nature of working with a giant 'sticker'. If the customer nit picks these issues then vinyl is not for them. Having said that, there obviously needs to be a reasonable quality control by the wrapper but without pics i wouldnt say 'a few (not many)' falls into that category.

As a side note you mentioned the car was waxed. It definitely should have had a clay bar treatment before wrapping. Cars should not be wrapped over wax, its made to repel. The job of the clay bar is the wrapper not you. You drop the car off nice and washed (no polishing or waxing) and the wrapper should do the rest of the prep.

Archived