Just noticed something scary.

One of our installers did his car with a sample roll of PPF. I won't name manny yet.

A great install looked very very good. Texas heat dried it out quickly.

However when people were coming into work the other morning they all said it looked like it had brown spots in it. We were like where?!

We all had polarized sunglasses and started examining it and it looked like brown circles mostly by edges where "fingers on edges" were during installation.

Could this be from too much alcohol?

If anyone has PPF from the major manny take a look at there rides with polarized sunglasses.

Negative bud. Same thing happens with tint. Polarized glasses change the actual image you are looking at with either PPF or Tint. You'll see the same effect on OEM tinted glass or even the rear windows without tint. It's common though. Coming from the manufacturers' perspective, its not really something we pay attention to. It's paint protection, not paint perfection. But again, that is just one person's opinion. I'm not saying we don't care, just that it's not something that is realistic for us as a manufacturer to focus on. 

I thought you were gonna say you caught your reflection in a mirror. :poke

See if you can find someone with a polarized lens or take a pic through your polarized glasses.

The way film looks  through polarized glasses is an interesting phenomenon . it would be good to have a pic you can show a custy to help them understand.

I have  a theory that the "weirdness" when looking through polarized glasses, is the affect of light passing through a variation of thickness of the material.  During installation, when you have a finger in the film, you basically have to much film for the given area.  when you convince that bugger to "conform to the space, you are compacting the excess film to fit in a smaller area.   That section is now minutely thicker, and while most times unnoticeable to the naked eye, it becomes visible to one wearing polarized glasses. My theory could be applied to several other installation variations.   Your thoughts?

Rich

Well the density would go up I'd imagine in that area. Never played with ppf, but it makes sense. Just like the whole ghosting issue, and again idk because I've never worked with ceramic. But when you shrink something the density would go up in that area. Draw a circle with sharpie on the liner before you shrink, the circle gets smaller

I may be a bit intoxicated,

Archived