2015 charger BG

had to ask about the peanuts LOL. we were rushing that day, and my apprentice just dobied the BG. yes we had a ton of peanuts. and

custy after waiting 1 hour said he had to go. started car with rear defrost, used prohandle blue max to remove excess water. yellow

diamond just made a bubbly mess. torched the peanuts and knocked most down with a gatoblade. couple nasty ones i made a slice on the

defroster line. wouldnt normally do that but custy had to go, couldnt wait for it to dry a little more

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had my torch for a month now,,can't try that when cust is watching for the few cars I doo,,darn people always in a rush

I hold my hand over the vents on the heat gun to make it hotter?lol

It really sucks when peanuts turn to green beans?

had to ask about the peanuts LOL. we were rushing that day, and my apprentice just dobied the BG. yes we had a ton of peanuts. andcusty after waiting 1 hour said he had to go. started car with rear defrost, used prohandle blue max to remove excess water. yellowdiamond just made a bubbly mess. torched the peanuts and knocked most down with a gatoblade. couple nasty ones i made a slice on thedefroster line. wouldnt normally do that but custy had to go, couldnt wait for it to dry a little more

Your honesty is refreshing.

had to ask about the peanuts LOL. we were rushing that day, and my apprentice just dobied the BG. yes we had a ton of peanuts. andcusty after waiting 1 hour said he had to go. started car with rear defrost, used prohandle blue max to remove excess water. yellowdiamond just made a bubbly mess. torched the peanuts and knocked most down with a gatoblade. couple nasty ones i made a slice on thedefroster line. wouldnt normally do that but custy had to go, couldnt wait for it to dry a little more

Your honesty is refreshing.

No sh#t!!!  LOL 

Cool Video shadytints,,,   :cool  but is it really feasible to be doing it that way??  Do you do it this all the time or is this just to show the torch??

Obviously, it causes an issue with peanuts.  You can see that in the video when you are shrinking it.  I'm not downing you or your video, it just seems like you are fighting it as much after install as you would be if you took your time and used a heat gun??  

I do Chargers all the time and I can't remember the last time I had a problem with any peanuts.

(watch me jinx myself with statement, knock on wood smiley-gen152.gif  )

Heat gun slow and easy with plenty of hard card pressure while shrinking(not hand pressure) and steel wool the defroster lines on install.... DONE!! 

No extra time checking to see if it's shrunk correctly, and no extra time after install dealing with peanuts.  

It's cool to shrink with a torch, although it does it incorrectly in my opinion, plus the damage to old brittle rubbers and the amount of time spent fixing an incorrect shrink after install doesn't seem reasonable to me   :twocents

yes every car I shrink this way, even a beetle is under 5 min, never really timed one.

never have peanuts or fingers except on 15 chargers and some 300's. a couple wranglers that I heat guned.

peanuts are from the thick defroster lines and I did say we did not properly prep the back window. (my fault)

I also did not vid the "double dry" part where I check with the heat gun. sometimes i shrink a little more and other times if I am

over shrunk I unshrink a little of the snap. takes an extra 1 to 2 min. ( see other youtube vids)

I make vids for the rookies I teach and vid them to learn from their mistakes. we completed the car in 45 min, spent another

30 on peanuts. I should have ripped it off and repreped the BG and we would have been fine. BG's for us are the easy parts. no

gaskets, dont move and with proper shrink and prep no fingers or peanuts. remember this was done in baby powder. the film will only

stick to the glass a few seconds, have to move fast. if you wet, dryer sheet or soap, then lift you film back up you will probably

see worse results. powder lets me see the actual film. what I did. and since the inside curve is tighter then the outside curve

it lets us overshrink (snap) for a finger free install

Cool video. Now you need to share the one for the actual install on either how to avoid peanuts or the amount of time it takes to get them to lay down.

Yes, I agree.  I think I have ideas on where I am picking up some small dust particles, but more vids is good.

prep and time I think is the key to peanuts. I really dont do alot of back windows anymore due to back problems, my apprentice does.  as I listened to him squeegee the

BG out i knew we were going to have issues,  I could hear it thru the fil it was so bad.
If you have a vehicle prone to peanuts,   run a diamond or gatorblade over the grid to check for highspots.  maybe 000 steel wool to smooth them out a little if ya find some.   I run ultra bond for a slip agent,  even in winter 15 min after install the film is hard to pull off, have to move quick.   If I get a peanut, first I squegee as hard as I can with a fusion 5 ES and blue max to remove as much water as possible.  A hard card will just make a bubbly mess pulling air off the grid.  I have tried a clear max, seems a softer squeegee for these is better .  has to conform around the lines.    start the car  turn the defrost on,  hold torch 2inches from bg and a 3 sec blast on each of heat.

once the water dries out a little they lay right down with a diamond or gator.  on bad ones some of the defrost lines will look alot thicker.  will tell custy wait 24 hours and run finger along the fat line and it will laqy down or bring it back and I will.   play with it to early and bubbles go everywhere,  wait to long and the glue dries. 

UPDATE  did another 15 charger yesterday.  scrubed the S*%T out of the BG with a whote scrubby, then went over the defroster lines with a red gator blade to knock down the high spots.  shrunk in under 2 min, double dried it and hung it with no peanuts. used a fushion 5ES with blue max and as much presue I could get following the line to get the excess water out.  Maybe a clear max or softer squegee would be better on the cars with thick grids.   prep on the new chargers, 300's and anything that feels like a thick grid is the key to getting rid of peanut problems.  older vehicles with the defrost lines corroded need some 000 steel wool.  older vetts with the verticle defroster lines you have to scrub clean or deal with the corrosion getting into the pattern as you squeegee. 

Archived