Bmw 3 series coupe back glass

I need urgent advice. Got to redo a bmw m3 coupe back glass as customer not happy. I put black vinyl on that massive dot matrix which has left a line where tint ovelaps vinyl. Also i have issues with these getting all the water out at the bottom. Can't seem to get enough pressure on my squeegee. Also getting a few peanuts on heater lines. I can post a few pics.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Film down first, then vinyl, never the other way. Vinyl is more flexible and can be pressed out to hide much of the overlap line. 

Or, you a over lap and cut through to form a seamless splice. Difficult but achievable through continuous sharp blade splicing and or bright enough light to see through the vinyl.

Edit: Overlap cut-through splice on the outside. Should have made that clear.

I've found it helps on these cars to use steel wool to knock down the dots and defroster lines. Then when shrinking the bottom I try to shrink the tint as a whole and not individual fingers. For the dots I'm able to get it to stick.

Here's how hard card whole window below the dot matrix.

For the dots I heat the outer glass and use a felt card to push the water out upwards to the first defroster, and keep heating til it lays. Then the same process to each defroster line until you make it to the top. If you try to do whole dot matrix in one pass you will end up with air trapped on each defroster line.

My matrix magic is dryed up,,had just enough to peel the top down on a old big dot car the other day to make it look good

The defroster with antenna built in made for no more inside cut splice seams that I was really good at before I started buying bigger rolls and learned to shrink better

When I end up with a few peanuts,,I heat it outside and poke a little hole on the defr line with my knife or a vinyl graphic bubble poker?

post-40089-0-48361900-1445005463_thumb.j

Sand the dots before prepping the back glass and scrub the defrosters with 0000 steel wool, prep window, cut and dry shrink the entire window,  final trim and install, squeegee the window and use an bulldozer to push water out the bottom of the glass,  pull the film down to the bottom of the matrix and it will dry as you apply blue elmers to the matrix.  Squeegee up from the bottom of the matrix from the center to the sides without pushing all of the glue out leaving a minimal film of glue to fill the air gaps.  It will look a little funny on the inside, but the outside will be clean looking. I like to do the rear window first and come back and hard card around the edges after doing the rest of the car.  What film and solution are you using? 

Archived