torch shrinking what films work good with torch

FAQ 232 courtesy llumartech.com:

Question (12/2/2009): I have heard that some installers use an open-flame gas torch of some sort (butane or propane) instead of a heat gun to heat form the film for rear windows. This sounds crazy and dangerous to me. What is Performance Films' technical position about such a method of heat shrinking? 

Answer: Performance Films' Research and Technology group has informed us in no uncertain terms: "Exposing organic coatings [in window films] to a gas flame is definitely not recommended. There are a host of unstable and energetic species in gas flames that are perfect for initiating photo- and thermo-oxidative degradation reactions. It will shorten product life-times and reduce confidence in weathering predictions and warranties. In short, don't do it."

The above refers to accelerated or premature failure of:

Polyester substrate.

Dye or Pigment.

UV absorbers.

Adhesives. 

The other potentials:

De-tempering of glass due to flame temperature being twice that which is used to temper glass.

(Leaking) automotive gas fume ignition from open flame.

Loss of clients once use of a torch around their vehicle is known.

Side bar:

Proven not to be much quicker over using a quality heat gun.

When you consider that film shrinks when it cools... too much heat energy absorbed by water and or glass will not quickly dissipate thus preventing the cooling needed for film to shrink. Aside from destroying film composition and glass properties, a torch is just counterproductive. :twocents

More like, film achieves new memory when cooled. You have to have heat to expand the molecules in the PET in order for them to cool to a new form/shape.

While it may not be totally correct or incorrect ,,,, Saying film shrinks when it cools is a little misleading, in my opinion. :twocents

More like, film achieves new memory when cooled. You have to have heat to expand the molecules in the PET in order for them to cool to a new form/shape.

While it may not be totally correct or incorrect ,,,, Saying film shrinks when it cools is a little misleading, in my opinion. :twocents

Either way it has to cool... that is not misleading, straight fact. :twocents

When using a torch to shrink, its the heat coming off the flame that is shrinking the film not the flame itself.

It does not matter which you choose to use, but if you have been electrocuted as many time as i have or have had a heatgun pop in you face....i'd choose the torch 

When using a torch to shrink, its the heat coming off the flame that is shrinking the film not the flame itself.

It does not matter which you choose to use, but if you have been electrocuted as many time as i have or have had a heatgun pop in you face....i'd choose the torch 

Should use this for your avatar. electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif   :lol

Archived