Lifetime warranties

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately it is deeply embedded in our industry now  to not offer them. I wish is was not a thing, but we are stuck with it and it's here to stay. 

Thankfully the PPF industry for the most has not gone to them other then one I can think of (Premium Shield).I accualy like the film, but I will not put my name on a lifetime warranty with a PPF product.

I personally think no auto film should be more than 5 years that being said   lifetime warranties have become the standard so it's kind of hard to take it back. If manufactures are going to  stick with lifetime warranties I think they should be 100% for the first 3 years then charge the customer a $50 deductible after that.

I have had many people over the years come in for warranty work 8-10 years down the road only to trade the vehicle in a week later had there been a $50 deductable most would not of paid it and just traded it in anyway. bad tint is not going to effect the trade in price(Retail yes trade in no)

Like they said, it is a standard and I don't see it ever being reversed.  Even if the manufacturers changed the film to a lesser warranty, some shops will still offer the Lifetime Warranty to attract more business.  This is why picking a quality window film is crucial along with the manufacturer covering the window film and labor.  So if you do have a warranty 6+ years down the road (rare someone would keep the car that long), then you are covered financially.  For the installers that are looking for the cheapest priced film, then you are f'd when it starts failing.  On the flip side, you should be making enough money to eat a few warranties over several years.  We did a cheaper film in the beginning and now we are $7000+ in the hole with warranty work when you factor in labor.  Even though it sucks, we have no problem taking the hit and making it right for our customers.

When we first launched SolarFX, we initially offered several films and each level of film had a different time warranty. We found out rather quickly that this was going to be unacceptable in this industry. So we now have 5 year warranty, Lifetime Warranty, and Premium Lifetime Warranty. The reality is that there are many products in the USA that are sold as lifetime warranty, car brake pads for example, except this is the only industry that people believe they should get a full replacement to new 7 years after the installation. Try getting a new set of break pads after 7 years or 100,000 miles. :lol2

Question remains to this day, which big guy is going to move away from lifetime warranty first?

You might look into state statutes that define what is considered lifetime in the state you live in. I might be mistaken or third party ill-informed but, it's been said, as example, that NC defines lifetime warranty as ten years max.

Question remains to this day, which big guy is going to move away from lifetime warranty first?

You might look into state statutes that define what is considered lifetime in the state you live in. I might be mistaken or third party ill-informed but, it's been said, as example, that NC defines lifetime warranty as ten years max.

I was going to comment about the state issue but didn't. Missouri Supreme Court has upheld a ruling that the length of a "Lifetime Warranty" is seven years.

Archived