2008 Toyota Tundra

Hey guys looking for some advice.  Only been doing this a year or so and this is my first encounter with one of these trucks.

I tinted a 2008 Tundra yesterday and it threw me a curve ball to say the least.  The front roll downs shift on the mirror side just enough to screw up the pattern.  I'm sure anyone who has done one of these trucks will understand what I was dealing with.

After messing up two patterns I decided to use the sharpie method.  With the window all the way up I marked the rear edge, and then on the front (mirror side) I only marked the bottom half of the edge.  Then I rolled the window down until it shifted and marked the top half of the mirror edge.  Using this method I finally ended up with a pattern that fit.  

My question is, what's the "correct" way to tackle these types of windows?  Did I do the right thing in marking the mirror edge half way then rolling it down and marking the other half? I just want to have a solid procedure down for these.

Thanks!

I make my cut on the front side only about half way up. Shift it over cut my back vertical then shift it to overlap both sides. Make my top cut. Then I pull it off the glass, and use a straight edge to continue my cut upwards. And I just freehand the little angled cut that's at the the very top of front edge. Stuff like this used to burn me all the time when I was learning.

I make my cut on the front side only about half way up. Shift it over cut my back vertical then shift it to overlap both sides. Make my top cut. Then I pull it off the glass, and use a straight edge to continue my cut upwards. And I just freehand the little angled cut that's at the the very top of front edge. Stuff like this used to burn me all the time when I was learning.

Did one over the weekend and this is how i do it.

Thanks! Great advice guys.   I'll try this on the next one.

I definitely need to get in the habit of rolling down the window to check for shifting before starting to cut.

Archived