DAP patterns soon only for Xpel PPF users?

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎21 at 1:04 PM, XPEL Jeff said:

The cost varies by region, dependent on the cost to develop a complete database for that market and the level of film sales to offset the expense.

In a place like Europe where the cost to develop a new database from scratch is extremely high, it is tied to film purchasing (patterning/software is essentially a money losing business in emerging markets, so it must be supported by film sales to avoid an unreasonable software cost).

You are not required to buy XPEL film to use DAP software in the U.S. (heck, we even let distributors of some other brands of film use it).  

I have been searching for answers to what programs someone can use instead of the DAP by XPEL and came across this.  In Canada we are ONLY allowed to use XPEL film in order to use the DAP.  Are you saying in the US that is not the case?  Is there absolutely no way of being able to use other films and use DAP?

Been getting positive feedback on 3M Digital Designs as of late.  If you're looking for a no-charge software option, this might be a good one.

http://aerotectfilms.com/The_3M_Difference.pdf

You'll need to contact your 3M PPF distributor for the download instructions.  Happy to point you to the right contact.

And of course, samples of 3M Pro Series are available:

https://engage.3m.com/ppf/

Edited by jason@aerotect

Bit misleading isn't it? I assume you cant just use 3M's software with out using their film (*free). By free you mean 'buy our film and you get the software for free' and id imagine there would be a certain quota to buy per month to allow this. This is the same with Suntek, the PDF you show has it for free also but again they don't just hand it out for free.

Hey Pro-tect, How do you find the fitment of the Suntek kits, I assume they are good considering you do a lot of work and have satisfied customers? I am looking to get into PPF over here but want the freedom to have multiple films without the overhead of multiple software's. Setup my business model and run my business how I want, instead of being dictated by big corporations. Now that's a novel thought isn't it.....

3M currently provides access to Digital Designs on a no cost basis for approved installers.  In the US market, they do not financially penalize installers for using competitive paint protection film.   There are certainly significant costs to building and maintaining a good pattern database, and as such, 3M would certainly like an installer to provide 3M PPF as part of their product offering to the end customer.  Please download the software and take it for a test drive yourself.  Be sure to register an account for pattern access.

http://patterns.3m.com

19 minutes ago, jason@aerotect said:

There are certainly significant costs to building and maintaining a good pattern database, and as such, 3M would certainly like an installer to provide 3M PPF as part of their product offering to the end customer.  

Which is why I find it hard to believe its free. Can you elaborate more on the 'would certainly like an installer to provide 3M PPF'?. What I am getting at is, I become an approved installer, I get access to the database, I then decide not to use 3M film. What happens to my access? surely you are not saying I get to keep using it for free (no penalty) and they do not cut access (i'd consider this a major penalty)?

18 minutes ago, OZinstaller said:

Which is why I find it hard to believe its free. Can you elaborate more on the 'would certainly like an installer to provide 3M PPF'?. What I am getting at is, I become an approved installer, I get access to the database, I then decide not to use 3M film. What happens to my access? surely you are not saying I get to keep using it for free (no penalty) and they do not cut access (i'd consider this a major penalty)?

Each roll of film has a code that has to be entered into the software. That code allows you to cut the amount of square feet of what ever size that roll is.

59 minutes ago, OZinstaller said:

You might find slight differences in practice from one distributor to the next, but as a whole, yeah, you will probably need to have some sort of film relationship with your distributor if you were going to expect any level of long term software support.

I honestly couldn’t tell you what to expect in Australia.